Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Marketplace Dynamics Team
The Marketplace Dynamics team builds the core data driven systems that power our matching and monetization engines. Our mission is to optimize how we match customers and pros, and monetize the transaction to create a growing marketplace where more and more jobs get done every day.
Our challenges are deeply technical and span a wide range of domains from infrastructure, to data, to product. Examples of recent efforts include: building a low latency search serving stack, optimizing ML systems for ranking and pricing, or building a highly efficient, scalable payments platform. To read more about the problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
- Build and grow an amazing team of software engineers with different backgrounds, across infrastructure, ML modeling/ranking, and product features.
- Lead and manage the team as a hands-on technical leader. Help the team make key technical decisions, unblock the team, and guide the team on execution. We expect managers in this role to review and write code.
- Work with the team to set a technical direction and product roadmap, figure out where we need to invest in our systems and infrastructure.
- Collaborate closely with product engineering teams on both the customer and pro focus areas, as well as embedded data science and analytics teams.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to evolve and continually improve Thumbtack’s engineering culture in a high paced growth environment.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2+ years experience in an engineering management role and 5+ years experience building software at scale.
- Strong management, communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong technical skills and is willing to be hands on. Able to guide the team in systems design, write and review code, and help debug issues.
- Strong product sense and experience working on a user facing consumer product.
- Experience building data driven systems in production. Bonus for experience applying machine learning in consumer products.
- Strong understanding of metrics and analytics, and ability to connect data with end user impact.
- Experience building and scaling distributed systems infrastructure. Bonus for experience building an ads serving or search serving stack at scale.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.