Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should.In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the People Team
Our People Team believes in the power and potential of our people. We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything; and we are inspired by this every day. We do this by crafting a data-driven employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, helping them make an impact with meaningful work, investing in their development, and providing a holistic approach to benefits and wellbeing.
About the Role
Reporting into the Director, HR Business Partners, the Compensation Lead will own Thumbtack’s compensation program end-to-end.
Compensation is a challenging competency on its own, made even more complex in a year where remote work has transformed industries almost overnight. How to value and reward employees in this unprecedented global environment has become a key cultural and competitive question – success in this position means embracing that challenge, understanding Thumbtack’s culture, and evolving our comp program in line with the employee experience we strive to achieve.
- Own and scale the foundation: Maintain, update, and influence our compensation policies, philosophies, processes, and infrastructure (i..e., grids and bands relative to job and level structure). Lead us in scaling this foundation to support remote work across the US.
- Manage programs: Execute our annual compensation review cycle. Create and drive new compensation programs, based on thoughtful analysis of short-term and long-term incentives aimed to engage and retain employees.
- Partner: Partner with HR and Recruiting to respond to compensation requests related to hiring, promotions, and internal transfers. Partner with HRBPs and business leaders to provide analysis that supports sound decision-making.
- Conduct market research: Review and analyze market data to evaluate our compensation – base, variable, and equity– program competitiveness relative to our philosophy. Recommend and participate in custom surveys as needed.
- Lead equity strategy: Own our equity strategy, including modeling equity value, dissemination, burn, and dilution.
- Train and educate: In partnership with our Employee Experience team, develop and implement training for compensation programs for recruiters, HR and managers to promote comp and equity understanding and transparency.
- Scale tooling and knowledge: Build models and select tools to make comp accessible and more easily understood by business leaders and the People team, resulting in scalable processes and effective decision-making.
- Continue our commitment to pay equity: Last but certainly not least, conduct pay equity audits in line with our DEI philosophies.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years building and maintaining compensation programs, in-house or consulting
- Advanced modeling skills, proficiency in Excel, knowledge of Google Sheets
- Demonstrated success as a compensation partner, showing skills of written and verbal communication, empathy, collaboration, and stakeholder management
- Knowledgeable in equity compensation
- Ability to articulate business rationale, using data to support decisions
- Ability to manage change and balance competing priorities
- Drive to learn new things, to think outside of the box, and to have fun at work
- Familiarity with HRIS
- Experience working at a Technology company
- Experience in a pre-IPO environment
- Executive compensation experience
- Stock Administration experience
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.