Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it still takes hours of researching, calling and vetting local service professionals every time you need to hire one.

The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline. 

Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to build sustainable businesses.

These customers and pros come from all walks of life and across every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.

About the People Team

Our People Team believes in the power and potential of our people. We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything; and we are inspired by this every day. We do this by crafting a data-driven employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, helping them make an impact with meaningful work, investing in their development, and providing a holistic approach to benefits and wellbeing. We know that a diverse mix of voices, experiences and backgrounds makes us stronger and creates an environment where our employees can not just bring their true selves to work, but also thrive.

About the Role

Thumbtack’s mission is to help everyone do life’s work with joy and purpose. We strive to do this for our customers and pros and for our employees. The Head of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) plays a pivotal role in helping bring Thumbtack’s core mission to life. You will do this by driving the development and implementation of our company strategy for improving representation of historically underrepresented groups on our platform, in our policies, and within our team. You will also help us continue improving the equality of opportunity for all groups, and fostering a culture of inclusion and belonging that actively encourages all Thumbtackers to bring their authentic selves to work and thrive.

The Head of DE&I will provide strategic and day-to-day leadership on all global diversity, equity and inclusion policies, programs, and practices across Thumbtack. They will be a trusted partner to our Senior Leadership Team (SLT), people managers, ERGs, People Team, department DRIs, and our employees. In this cross-functional role, the Head of DE&I will report to the Chief People Officer and help ensure that DE&I is embedded as a core component of our company strategy and operations. 

Responsibilities:

Strategy development and implementation (50%)

• Create and embed a DE&I strategy into Thumbtack's broader business and talent strategy, and OKRs.
  • Partner with our SLT, managers, ERGs, and employees to champion, deliver and scale initiatives that impact our employees, customers and pros.
  • Integrate our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion through our systems and processes to improve our culture of belonging, equity and inclusion, and providing a meaningful employee experience.
  • Partner with the People Analytics team to create, maintain and lead a data-driven approach to measurable and sustainable impact for our employees, customers and pros.

Advising and coaching (30%)

• Continue to embed improved DE&I practices into our existing programs, processes and norms. 
  • Provide thought leadership to leaders and our employees in areas including business planning, people programs, and our product.
  • Be a leading voice for DE&I at Thumbtack, including communicating internally and externally.
  • Challenge our thinking to help us learn, grow and keep growing.

ERG, council and forum leadership (20%)

• Continue developing our existing Employee Resource Group (ERG) strategy and implementation.
  • Provide leadership over our ERG, DE&I council, department DRIs and other community forums.

Must-have qualifications:

• 5+ years of dedicated DE&I experience in this area
  • A strategic, creative and systems-based mindset with a bias towards action
  • A track record of building and scaling data-driven DE&I programs
  • Ability to partner with, and coach leaders to enable a consistent, authentic, fair and equitable approach to business and internal priorities
  • A strong understanding of industry benchmarks, leading practices and innovations in DE&I
  • Experience leading cross-functional and dotted-line teams, forums and individuals

Nice-to-have qualifications:

• Previous experience to DE&I in the private sector, ideally working with or within start-up, high-growth, and/ or fast-changing companies.

More About Us

Thumbtack is the app that helps local professionals and customers find each other. We intelligently match customers to pros with the right expertise, availability and pricing. Customers find electricians, landscapers, DJs, anyone they need, and pros create sustainable businesses doing what they love.

Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford. 

Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.

The California Consumer Privacy Policy Act (the "CCPA") obligates covered businesses to disclose to consumers (including employees and job applicants), at or before the point of collecting personally identifiable information ("PII"), the categories of PI to be collected and the purposes for which the categories of PI shall be used. 

In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant: 

• Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
  • Professional or employment-related information. 

We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.

Apply for this Job

* Required

-

At Thumbtack, we’re building more than a product. We’re building local economies and stronger communities. Leveling the playing field so even the smallest of businesses has a fair shot at success. And we believe diversity is essential to making this happen. We use your answers below to better understand who is interested in joining the team and whether we’re considering a diverse group of people for our open roles. Your response will be confidential, and neither your answers nor your participation or non-participation will affect our consideration of your candidacy.

Race & Ethnicity

Military status