Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Team
Business Applications delivers and supports high-value applications, tools, and integrations used by Thumbtack to run the business, generate revenue, and serve our Pros and Customers; with a focus on custom solutions, application development, API integrations, and data ETLs leveraging Salesforce, its ecosystem, and other SaaS applications. Business Applications is made up of 3 teams: Salesforce Application Administrators, Developers, and Support.
About the Role
You will lead the Business Applications teams and partner with all areas of the business to design, develop, and support our Salesforce and SaaS platform, tools, and architecture. The team is highly cross-functional, and in this role you will work closely with engineering, technical program managers, frontline operations, and go-to-market teams to create and scale mission critical tools and systems. You are a dynamic, seasoned manager with experience leading and developing large technical teams. You excel at building strong relationships with team members, partners, and customers. You are passionate about delivering world class tools and services that enable Thumbtack, our Pros, and our Customers.
Strategy & Planning
- Partner with business teams, TPM, and tech leads to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support high quality, scalable, cost-effective technology solutions for all of Thumbtack.
- Advocate for your teams across all groups and organization levels.
- With program management and leadership, drive quarterly planning for Business Applications across supported areas including: roadmapping, scoping, prioritization, and resource allocation.
- Work with the team to execute and deliver on Internal Tools vision, charter, and roadmap including defining and building platform and solutions architecture as a function.
- Review and analyze existing platforms, tools, and services for efficiency, effectiveness, and scalability, then develop strategies for continuous system improvements.
Hiring & Development
- Recruit, hire, and grow a high performing business applications team with a strong culture of balancing operational excellence with moving fast.
- Develop senior technical leaders and managers within the team to help the organization scale.
- Oversee business applications end-to-end; working with managers and leads to balance staffing, prioritize work, and provide direction and support.
- Evangelize and drive adherence to application design and development best practices within the organization (solutions reviews, code reviews, quality assurance processes, etc.)
- Provide guidance and direction and act as final escalation point for architecture, data model, and solution design decisions.
- Work with the team to manage relationships and cost for larger strategic vendors and partners.
- Own application budgeting, purchasing, approval, and management to support operations.
- Set goals, lead managers and staff to achieve results and be accountable for team performance.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience in a senior management role supervising managers and leading technical teams
- 6-10+ years experience building tools and managing SaaS applications at scale
- 4+ years experience with Salesforce application administration, development, and support
- Outstanding leadership, communication, and organizational skills
- Expert analytical and problem solving skills; ability to make thoughtful proposals, provide root cause analysis, and lead teams to demonstrate results through testing and metrics
- Extensive knowledge of Salesforce architecture and best practices
- Ability to proficiently work with the following systems and resources:
- Salesforce (including sales, service, and marketing solutions)
- SaaS integrations
- Relational databases and SQL
- Data visualization / business intelligence
- Cloud-based technologies
- Technical understanding of...
- Passionate about technology, understand and are not afraid to write code
- Flexible for occasional travel to San Francisco
- Experience working with a broad range of technology platforms and tools including CRMs, HRIS, telephony systems, contact centers, data warehouse, analytics tools, and survey tools.
- Hands-on experience leading large scale application deployments (SaaS, HRIS, ERP, ETL)
- Experience at a growth-stage technology company or other fast-paced startup environment
- Experience with agile project management methodologies and practices
- Salesforce certification(s)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related area
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.