Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the IT Team
Thumbtack’s IT team is passionate about focusing on operational excellence, whether that’s process improvements, automating the hell out of things, or helping find that next amazing app for our internal teams. We understand that if we get this right we can focus more of our attention on the things that matter to the business - namely innovation and becoming a trusted business partner. We strive to deliver the best IT service our users have experienced. Ever.
As with most startup environments you will need to bring not only your technical skills to bear, but also your willingness to take on all challenges big and small. More importantly, you’ll need a positive outlook, good communication skills, and a craving for learning. You will be using your past experiences to help build a world-class IT department and to think outside the box in delivering new services and resources to the business. Are you ready for some fun?
About the Role
You will be a customer service and support evangelist, working at our Help Desk and assisting our customers via in person walk-ups, support tickets, email and chat. You will work closely with Help Desk staff to build and maintain IT documentation and tools, coordinate schedules, manage IT queues, handle escalations and drive IT initiatives. You love building relationships with customers, business partners and IT team members alike. You have a strong background in Mac, A/V and network troubleshooting. You must have excellent communications skills, a passion for technology and dedication to providing the best end user experience possible, mentoring others and driving best practices within the team.
- Troubleshoot and resolve advanced issues with hardware, software, applications & networking
- Provide timely resolution of problems and act as escalation point for the team and customers
- Work cross-functionally and represent the team across all groups and organization levels
- Own and drive IT projects and deliverables under the direction of IT leadership
- Help lead and manage A/V events, systems and support
- Maintain security standards (firewalls, patching, two-factor authentication, VPN, access)
- Handle system access and maintain user accounts, passwords, data integrity & security
- Manage relationships with vendors and 3rd party providers
- Oversee inventory, purchasing, asset management and other key processes to support IT
- Participate in interviewing, training and mentoring team members
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 3-5 years experience in IT Support or IT Operations in a professional environment
- Experience with support ticket management and tracking
- Outstanding customer service, problem solving and collaboration abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience communicating with vendors to manage expectations and relationships
- Extensive technical knowledge of Mac OS 10.10x, 10.11x, 10.12x, 10.13x, iOS and Android
- Basic knowledge of Windows 7, Windows 10
- Network fundamentals and support experience (WiFi, VPN, printing)
- Knowledge of endpoint management tools and practices (JAMF Casper)
- Familiar with common access/authentication systems and tools (Okta, AD)
- Experience with G Suite for Business (Gmail, GCal, GDocs, etc)
- Knowledge of video conferencing solutions and support
- Ability to be on-call and work outside of business hours during urgent or maintenance situations
- Some heavy lifting required
- In-depth experience with the following systems - Zendesk, G Suite for Business, Okta, Active Directory, Office 365, JAMF Casper, Puppet, Zoom, Slack, Jira, Confluence
- IT related degree or relevant certifications
- A good sense of humor!
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008, and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.