Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Marketplace Dynamics Team
The Marketplace Dynamics team builds the core data driven systems that power our matching and monetization engines. Our mission is to optimize how we match customers and pros, and monetize the transaction to create a growing marketplace where more and more jobs get done every day.
Our challenges are deeply technical and span a wide range of domains from infrastructure, to data, to product. Examples of recent efforts include: building a low latency search serving stack, optimizing ML systems for ranking and pricing, or crafting product features like search auto-suggest. As an engineer on this team, you will have the opportunity to help us build out these nascent data driven systems from the ground up.
- Solve tough technical problems in our marketplace, which may involve challenges across infrastructure, machine learning, or product experience.
- Own and drive major engineering efforts end to end, starting from analysis, prioritization and systems design, to eventually deploying production quality code, all with a tenacious focus on user impact.
- Run a/b tests and experiments to test hypotheses about our marketplace.
- Mentor junior engineers and actively contribute to shared resources in our engineering community.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to plan and execute on engineering projects.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience in engineering, with at least two years in a technical leadership role.
- Have led major efforts or teams to build large scale data driven systems in production, especially in search ranking, ads quality or other products backed by machine learning.
- You’re fluent in at least one major programming language and would be able to switch between multiple languages. In our stack, we mainly use PHP, Scala, and Golang.
- You know what it means to write high quality, maintainable, testable code, and you enjoy doing it.
- You can break down complex problems rigorously and understand the tradeoffs necessary to deliver great, impactful products.
- You’re curious, you’re data-driven, you love to ask questions, and you think critically about problems.
- You’re comfortable communicating about your work with both technical and non-technical team members, including fellow engineers, product managers, designers, and analysts.
- Experience scaling an ads serving or search serving stack at scale.
- Strong product sense and experience working on a user facing consumer product.
- Is quantitative and has a strong understanding of metrics and analytics, and is able to connect data with end user impact.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.