Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Creative team.
We’re a tight-knit, collaborative group on a mission to make Thumbtack famous. You’ll work closely with designers, writers, and producers to develop world class creative for both sides of the Thumbtack marketplace – customer and pro. You’ll be responsible for telling the Thumbtack story across marketing and product, exploring how our brand can inspire and inform through motion and animation.
About the role.
We’re looking for a Motion Designer who’s a natural storyteller with a keen eye for detail. You’re just as comfortable teaming up with writers and designers to concept a series of video ads as you are flying solo, mapping out style frames, developing a title treatment, or breathing life into a spot illustration.
We need someone who thrives on variety to take ownership of projects big and small, with a bias for impact. Whether it’s turning around a quick animated GIF for an email, storyboarding a product education video, or developing motion style guides, or collaborate to explore new technical methods and implementations -- you’re a self-starter who loves the challenge of translating a brief into world-class creative.
- You’ll sit on the Creative team, within our Design organization, brainstorming alongside our cross-functional team, storyboarding and comping digital ads, animating GIFs for emails, bringing to life illustrations for landing pages, keynote presentations for events, and supporting product launches with educational and marketing animations.
- You’ll create multiple design directions for concepts that are informed by a creative brief and our existing brand design style guides.
- You’ll create content that is in line with our Brand Style guide (or create new concepts that push us to evolve the Style guide!) and help elevate brand recognition.
- You’ll execute with a keen eye for detail and consideration of deadlines and constraints.
- You’ll handle the technical side of post-production and archival systems.
- You’ll collaborate with our Product Marketing team to explore new ways to explain how the Thumbtack app works for both customers and pros.
- You’ll collaborate with the Growth team to drive customer and pro acquisition through exciting animations, product demos or narratives.
- You’ll collaborate with Brand Managers to explore new ways to build awareness and drive affinity for the Thumbtack brand, across seasonal campaigns or organic social content.
- You’ll support the People and Office Ops teams on company-culture initiatives that make Thumbtack one of the best places to work in the Bay Area. (No really, we’re not making that up. We’re one of the most innovative companies, too!)
Must Have Qualifications.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 3-5 years as a motion designer at an agency, production company or in-house creative team.
- You’re obsessed with motion design -- you geek out on the technical specs, and stay up to date on the latest trends.
- Strong portfolio that demonstrates creativity, strategic thinking, rhythm and narrative development.
- Superb attention to detail in composition and craftsmanship.
- You’re able to handle light sound editing, mixing and color correction.
- You’re at home with AfterEffects, Premiere, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Reliable self-starter who can handle multiple projects with minimal oversight.
- A bias for action and tenacious focus on how your work meets project goals.
- Great presentation skills with the ability to explain your creative vision and listen to feedback.
- Strong cross-functional communication skills
- Friendly, supportive and collaborative. This is a strength-in-numbers kind of team; we make each other better.
More About Us.
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.