Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the People Team
Our People team believes in the power of our people. We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything; and we are inspired by this every day.
We do this by crafting an employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, investing in their development, and providing a holistic approach to benefits from fully-paid health insurance, to providing top-notch food from our in-house culinary team.
About the Role
As Thumbtack continues to grow, we need an incredible Director of Total Rewards & People Operations to lead create one of the most rewarding employee experiences and culture in the industry. You will own the global compensation, benefits, systems and operations strategy and delivery across our entire company.
You are a strategic operator, whose focus on detail and ability to get stuff done means we never miss a beat. You see the big picture, have a perspective, and want to bring it to life.
We want your help to shape the future of total rewards and operations at Thumbtack, and help us continue to push the envelope as an industry leader. You want to make a difference, and we will make it happen.
- Compensation: Lead company compensation philosophy, strategy, and execution. This includes everything from executive compensation, to new hire compensation, to equity program design, to delivering the annual merit planning cycle.
- Benefits: Lead the design, development, and management of competitive domestic and global employee benefits plans including medical, dental, disability, 401(k), so our employees and their families can be happy and healthy.
- Operations: Lead our strategy and execution for our people operations and systems across our entire employee lifecycle (e.g., immigration, policies, onboarding and offboarding, leaves etc).
- Partnership: Be a close partner with key leaders across the company including our VP People, co-founder and CEO, Thumbtack leadership team, People leadership team and so many more.
- Strategic projects: Lead some of our most important strategic projects, including equity plan design, or evaluating geographical expansion.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 8+ years of experience leading compensation, ideally with additional experience with benefits and/ people operations.
- Detail and action-oriented, while understanding how to connect the dots.
- Clear, structured communicator.
- Track record of achievement.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.