Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Growth Marketing Team
Over the past year, we have completely transformed our user experience and business model, and we are about to enter a phase of company growth that is powered by paid channels more than ever before. We have the opportunity to be very strategic about the quality of service professionals (pros) that Thumbtack attracts and in which markets we place new pros. To enable this, we’re building our growth marketing team, and investing to build the channels, tools and product experiences that will help drive paid growth.
The next 12-18 months will be transformational for paid marketing at Thumbtack, and you’ll be leading our pro acquisition strategy, and execution.
About the Role
You’ll manage our pro acquisition strategy across all paid channels. Today, that includes SEM, Facebook,, and SEO. Over time, it will include anything and everything that can help drive effective pro growth for Thumbtack. You’ll be embedded with Engineering, Analytics, Design and Product teams to drive paid growth, and ensure we’re building the right tools to enable successful execution.
- You’re passionate about performance marketing that delivers massive and measurable results for the business
- You’re constantly looking at results and actively pushing new initiatives to drive growth and optimization across channels
- You are highly analytical, and thrive working with large datasets alongside data scientists, engineers and analysts to drive better performance
- You have built large performance marketing programs
- You’re outgoing, friendly, and connect easily with a diverse range of people
- Lead Thumbtack’s Pro Acquisition strategy
- Work with customer growth team to set marketplace health strategy
- Expand current channels through ongoing optimization, and build out new channels to drive future growth
- Partner with Analytics, Eng and PM to drive strategy around attribution, tracking, and landing experiences for all paid marketing
- Work closely with Creative to develop highly performant ads
- Work closely with Lifecycle and PMM teams to make sure we’re optimizing acquisition efforts alongside strong onboarding, lifecycle, and product efforts
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years experience leading performance marketing strategy at organizations with complex campaigns and significant budgets
- Must have hands-on experience personally managing SEM, Facebook, or other digital channels, as well as working with agencies/teams to execute
- Have worked cross-functionally with engineers, analysts, designers, and PMs
- Strong analytical skills, including experience in spreadsheets, SQL, analytics and bid management tools
- Experience marketing to small business audiences
- Experience at a high-growth tech company
- Compelling strategy leader, with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience at a marketplace company
- Experience with email/notifications, SEO
- Experience with AdWords API / Scripts, Github, Python, and Scala
- Experience with a variety of online and offline channels (direct mail, podcasts, mobile ads, etc.)
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.