Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1T in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Design team.
We're a tight-knit team of designers, researchers, writers, and producers working closely with engineers, product managers, and marketers to tell compelling brand stories and build amazing user experiences for customers and local professionals. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product, brand, and company as a whole.
About the role.
We’re looking for an experienced creative leader who loves to stay close to the work. You’re someone who’s equally comfortable leading a concepting session for a series of video ads, critiquing the narrative in our onboarding flows, or refining our brand pitch for the next company All Hands.
We need someone who loves the challenge of creating great work within a fast-paced, ever-evolving technology startup. You know what it takes to keep a team inspired and motivated in their work, and able to see how their individual contributions connect to the bigger picture -- the company, and beyond to our end users. You know that our brand success hinges upon the success of the team, and you’re passionate and proactive about encouraging them, coaching them, offering critical yet constructive feedback, and leading from behind (and occasionally from out front).
- You’ll bring a human-centered mentality to every challenge in every channel for our Customer and Pro audiences.
- You’ll work alongside the other leaders of our Design organization, across Brand Design, Brand Writing, Product Design, Product Writing, Research, Production, and Design Ops.
- You’ll provide creative direction and guidance across marketing and product touchpoints.
- You’ll partner with our CEO and other executive leaders to create a holistic brand vision and strategy for Thumbtack and develop new tactics to help us achieve it.
- You’ll inspire the team to deliver consistently high quality work, across mediums, for all of our most important projects.
- You’ll be responsible for creating an environment where rigorous critique is welcomed, but where psychological safety and creative openness is maintained.
- You’ll push forward our employer brand and highlight the culture that makes Thumbtack one of the best places to work in the Bay Area. (No really, we’re not making that up. We’re one of the most innovative companies, too!)
Must Have Qualifications.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 3 years of Creative Director-level experience at an agency or in-house.
- Minimum of 8 years in total of experience in design, copywriting, or art direction.
- Excellent presentation skills with the ability to explain your creative vision, inspire others, but also solicit and listen to feedback.
- You love developing cohesive and scalable creative strategies that can play out across numerous channels and mediums.
- You display a human-centered approach to design that’s inquisitive, strategic and empathetic.
- You lead with passion and vision, and you can energize others to deliver excellent results while keeping them happy and engaged.
- Strong portfolio that demonstrates strategic thinking, creativity, vision, and masterful storytelling.
- Superb attention to craft details across many disciplines – writing, design, video, art direction, motion, etc.
- Reliable self-starter who can provide leadership to multiple projects with minimal oversight.
- Can push the team to explore new thinking and expand new interpretations of the brand expression to meet ever-changing company demands.
- Friendly, supportive and collaborative. This is a strength-in-numbers kind of team; we make each other better.
More About Us.
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to wedding planners and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.