Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Digital Experience Team
Thumbtack’s Digital Experience team seeks to improve comprehension and feature and adoption for the customers and professionals who use our platform by delivering coaching and educational content through various digital channels. We’re responsible for maintaining and optimizing existing channels as well as planning and launching new ones. To accomplish this we partner with multiple internal teams across our offices in Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and The Philippines.
About the Role
We use an in-product chat tool called Intercom to drive feature adoption and provide coaching and content to the pros who use our platform. As a Chat Manager, you’ll lead a team of chat agents in Salt Lake City as well as oversee the work of a remote team of contractors. You’ll be responsible for setting performance targets and ensuring quality across the team through proactive coaching. You’ll also be responsible for working with other Digital Experience team members to expand your team’s reach through the implementation of automation tools including chatbots and product tours.
- Manage a team of 6-10 local chat agents and oversee the work of a remote team of contractors
- Develop a comprehensive set of policies, procedures, and processes for the operation of your team
- Set and track performance targets for your team
- Ensure quality through proactive coaching
- Stay up-to-date on product changes to ensure that your team is always sharing accurate information
- Work with other Digital Experience team members to ensure that your team remains strategically aligned
- Work with other Digital Experience team members to expand your team’s reach through the implementation of automation tools including chatbots and product tours.
- Design and conduct A/B tests to determine which approaches to use
- Set performance targets for individual team members as well as for the team as a whole. Work with our analytics team to track performance.
“If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.”
- 2+ Years in a coaching/leadership or comparable role
- Excellent coaching skills - your past team members wanted to follow you because you inspire and teach them to be better. You have the ability to influence others and excite them about company vision.
- Strong track record of cross-functional collaboration
- Ability to efficiently communicate with stakeholders and cross-functional teams. Know when to inform and when to include in the broader conversation.
- Business acumen - ability to analyze data, build a business case, and design operational experiments.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a natural talent for process improvement.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- History of promotion and advancement
- Experience and positive results within other tech companies or marketplaces
- Experience with automation tools and practices
- Experience with instructional design and audience segmentation
- Experience collaborating with remote partners
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.