Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Platform Team
The Platform team is responsible for the infrastructure and shared services stack on top of which the entire Thumbtack applications sit. It is a team of software engineers with a mission to build a rock-solid foundation for Thumbtack that supports 100s of engineers and 10s of millions of users today while continuing to scale rapidly. The team owns everything from our cloud environments on AWS & GCP, containerized platform for running backend services, service oriented & microservices architecture and in-house built mission-critical shared services. The team is also responsible for driving architectural evolution, overall site health and provides other engineering teams with the observability tools, best practices and guidance for running highly available and performant microservices.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced software engineering manager to drive results and scale our technology as well as organization directions. We are in the process of technology evolution moving from a monolith to a service oriented architecture. You will be leading a highly technical team of engineers and working closely with other product engineering teams and TL in scaling our next generation of products. The current team is backend services and API services centric. You will be working closely with mobile infrastructure TLs. You’ll bring deep and broad technical skills in backends, API, and/or mobile engineering, bias for result, and a positive can-do attitude to tackle difficult engineering problems and deliver results for Thumbtack Engineering and our users.
- Work closely with engineers to architect critical production systems and design a roadmap for our infrastructure in collaboration with other engineering leaders.
- Build and grow an amazing team of both application and infrastructure software engineers with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast.
- Collaborate closely with product engineering leads to ensure our technology platform meets our company goals and allows product development to move fast.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to evolve and improve Thumbtack Engineering’s culture in a fast-paced growth environment.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 3+ years of experience in an engineering management role.
- 7+ years of experience building software at scale.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Bias for action, result oriented with a long term strategic view of growth & improvement.
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, and developing highly functioning organizations.
- Passionate about technology and contribute to hands-on coding.
- Experience with microservices architecture.
- Experience at a consumer scale tech company or growth-stage startup.
- Experience with a modern public cloud-based tech stack on AWS/GCP, service oriented architecture, and graphQL.
- Experience with data analytics, ML and data infrastructure.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.