Engineering Manager, Infrastructure
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge —$1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Infrastructure Team
The Infrastructure team is responsible for the platform on top of which the entire Thumbtack technical stack sits. It is a team of software engineers and site reliability engineers with a mission to build a rock-solid foundation for Thumbtack that supports 100s of engineers and 10s of millions of users today while continuing to scale rapidly. The team owns everything from our cloud environments on AWS/GCP, containerized platform for running backend services, open-source storage systems including PostgreSQL and ElasticSearch to mission-critical services built in-house. The team is also responsible for overall site health and provides other engineering teams with the observability tools, best practices and guidance for running highly available and performant microservices.
- Work closely with engineers to architect critical production systems and design a roadmap for our infrastructure in collaboration with other engineering leaders.
- Build and grow an amazing team of both software engineers and site reliability engineers with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast.
- Collaborate closely with product engineering leads to ensure our infrastructure helps meet our company goals and allows product development to move fast.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to evolve and continually improve Thumbtack’s engineering culture in a fast-paced growth environment.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience in an engineering management role.
- 5+ years of experience building software at scale.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, and developing highly functioning organizations.
- Passionate about technology and not afraid to write code.
- Experience at a consumer scale tech company or growth-stage startup.
- Experience with a modern public cloud-based tech stack on AWS/GCP and systems/tools like PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Spark and docker-based microservices.
- Experience with data infrastructure.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in over 1,000 categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.