Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Analytics Team
The Analytics Team empowers Thumbtack to use data to guide business decisions. We partner with each other and with teams across the company on projects ranging from exploring click-level data on user experiences to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance. This role is about so much more than creating dashboards--it’s telling the story of our business in a way that inspires action.
About the Role
During this 12 week summer internship at Thumbtack, you will collaborate with a mentor on the analytics team on one or more high-impact analytics projects, accessing Thumbtack’s rich datastore to better understand a product feature or an aspect of our marketplace. At the same time, you’ll contribute to our broader team and company data culture by presenting your findings to educate teammates or to help make a business or product decision.
- Partner with product, growth, marketing and operations teams to conduct in-depth quantitative analyses that guide strategic decisions
- Make recommendations based on detailed analysis and a deep understanding of our business
- Build and maintain reports, models, and visualizations which provide insight into user experiences and business performance
- Contribute to our team and company data culture through peer collaboration
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Current junior with past analytical work/research experience or working toward a degree in Engineering, Math, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, or other science-related quantitative field
- Proficiency using Excel, Google Sheets, SQL, R, Python, or similar tool to analyze large datasets
- Sharp business judgement and the ability to see past the noise
- Strong communicator, attentive listener and compelling explainer
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.