Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
At Thumbtack and in the tech industry there are groups that are underrepresented and less likely to even apply for roles, so we want to make sure our job descriptions are as inclusive and welcoming as possible. Underrepresented candidates might even wonder - is there a place for me at this tech company? And that’s a question we don’t want our candidates to ask themselves. So, to proactively address this concern, we’re adding a few sentences to directly encourage underrepresented candidates to apply.
About the Product Marketing team
Product Marketing shares the voice of our users internally, and is the voice of the product externally. We use insights to influence the product roadmap and are responsible for driving adoption of product features through positioning, messaging, and go-to-market strategy.
About the Role
It’s an exciting time for Thumbtack, our customers and our professionals (pros). We’ve redesigned and simplified our customer experience, making it even easier for customers to find the right pros. In parallel, we’re also creating a better way for pros to get hired.
We instantly get pros in front of relevant jobs, so pros can focus on the work they love. The new Thumbtack saves pros time and money-- they only pay for customers who actually reach out to the pro. It also delivers a better experience to our customers, who expect instant introductions to qualified pros.
The coming years are critical ones for Thumbtack as we keep improving this new product and turn into the default way customers and pros find each other. We’d love you to help us get there.
We’re looking for a Head of Product Marketing to build compelling and visionary narratives about our product changes and take them to market in impactful ways. You’ll lead and grow a team of product marketers and be an indispensable part of driving adoption and usage of new features by:
- Partnering across marketing, product, customer support and operations
- Overseeing core research projects that inform product positioning, strategy and feature prioritization
- Overseeing feature positioning, messaging, comprehension, and channel strategy
- Overseeing the development and execution of go-to-market plans for key product launches
- Partner closely with Product Marketers, Product Managers, Engineering, Go-To-Market, Brand Marketing, Analytics, Category Management, Experience Research and Customer Support.
- Manage Product Marketing Managers leading key launches, developing robust go-to-market plans, and understanding post-launch impact.
- Oversee creation of compelling messaging, value propositions and content.
- Oversee the development of multi-channel plans for in-product, external and internal communications.
- Identify gaps in internal understanding around customer and pro needs and concerns.
- Oversee Product Marketing Managers leading research and insights projects that influence product prioritization and marketing strategy.
- Be a strong cross-functional partner, able to organize and influence range of stakeholders across the entire company to drive successful and smooth launches.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of experience in marketing with significant experience managing teams
- Experience with scaling product marketing teams
- Demonstrated cross-functional teamwork and project management experience
- Distinctive problem solving and analytical mindset, with experience analyzing qualitative and quantitative data to guide strategy
- Experience leading teams that conduct, synthesize and share user research
- Excellent written and verbal communication, along with strong interpersonal skills
- Experience creating and launching external communications or education content
- Experience working with small businesses and/or a passion for small businesses and helping them succeed
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.