Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About Research & Design At Thumbtack
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of designers, researchers, content strategists, and analysts working closely with engineers and product managers to discover, validate, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, and delightful. We collaborate regularly through design critiques, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and inform the direction of the product and company as a whole.
You are passionate about developing empathy with our users, especially the small business owners/professionals (Pros), and delivering insights that help us create experiences that fulfill their needs. You have several years of effective cross-functional collaboration experience and you strive to create product experiences that users share and evangelize. You’re a great communicator and story-teller, and can help product teams better understand and advocate for their users. Your focus is on market research methodologies, but you have working knowledge of quantitative methodologies as well.
About The Role
Market Researchers at Thumbtack will work across product teams and serve as advocates for the needs of customers and Pros alike. You will be responsible for scoping and executing research projects (often with overlapping timelines) and providing insights that will drive key product decisions. The ideal candidate will be a social scientist with expertise in experimental and survey methodology, behavioral data analysis, and statistics.
As a Market Researcher at Thumbtack, you will:
- Focus on developing marketing and communications strategy based on customer and Pro insights
- Collaborate closely with multiple teams within the organization to identify and prioritize research topics in a fast-paced environment.
- Design and execute studies that seek to understand user motivations, attitudes, and behaviors
- Analyze data and synthesize results to generate insights and provide clear and concise recommendations that shape how product teams think about short to long-term strategy
- Visualize data to communicate performance and impact of marketing programs and activities
- Share research findings with smaller functional teams and the company at-large by creating and distributing compelling, impactful reports and presentations.
- Work collaboratively within the research, data analytics, product management, marketing, design, and content writing team to assess larger user trends and determine strategies for further investigation and/or synthesis.
- Mentor other researchers and non-researchers on research methods and best practices
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 3-7+ years in applied product research in fast-paced, consumer-facing product organizations
- Experience working with large-scale data in multi-method studies
- Experience working with marketing teams and directing agencies/vendors to deliver results
- Expertise in focus groups, survey design and analysis, competitive analysis, weighting, segmentations, and response effects
- Experience with positioning, message development and optimization, value proposition development and communication
- Experience with brand and advertising research
- Experience using a variety of research tools (such as Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey, R, SPSS, Ethnio, Mode Analytics, Tableau) and familiarity with recruiting and analytics suites
- Degree, preferably MA/MS/PhD in human behavior-related field such as Market Research, Business, Human-Computer Interaction, Economics, Political Science, related fields, or equivalent practical experience
- Strong understanding of strengths and shortcomings of various qualitative and quantitative research methods, including when and how to apply them during product phases
- Demonstrated success influencing product and design decisions based on research insights
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation, and collaboration skills
- Proficient in coding, writing queries in R, SQL, SPSS or Python
- Experience collecting and analyzing user behavior through unmoderated experiments (A/B testing), in-person studies, and remote studies
- Experience with user research supporting accessibility, a big plus
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.