Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Brand Marketing Team
We’re a tight-knit, collaborative group of creatives on a mission to make Thumbtack famous. You’ll work closely with designers, producers and brand managers to develop campaigns for both sides of the marketplace – customer and pro. Champion of the brand voice, you’ll sync regularly with other brand, product and support writers at Thumbtack to maintain a cohesive sound across all communications.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Senior Copywriter who can do a little bit — or a lot — of everything. You’re just as comfortable teaming up with Senior Designers to concept a series of video ads as you are flying solo, mapping out content for a landing page.
We need someone who thrives on project variety to take ownership of writing assignments big and small. Whether it’s turning around a quick email, interviewing a Thumbtack pro for a long-form blog post, or coming up with an entire communication plan for a 300+ pro event – you’re a self-starter who loves the challenge of translating technical product concepts into words that make our company sound relatable and human.
What you'll be working on
- You’ll sit on the Brand Marketing team, writing all kinds of copy for growth ads, emails, blog articles, landing pages, event communications and product launches.
- You’ll work with Product Marketing Managers to find ways of applying brand voice to complex product features for a non-technical audience.
- You’ll collaborate with the Growth team to drive customer and pro acquisition through SEO, social, app store optimization and landing page conversion.
- You’ll support the People and Office Ops teams on company-culture initiatives that make Thumbtack one of the best places to work in the Bay Area. (No really, we’re not making that up. We’re one of the most innovative companies, too!)
- You’ll develop communications and swag for large-scale events, interview pros and tell their stories, and write content for the online community.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4-6 years of professional writing experience at an agency or in-house.
- Strong portfolio that demonstrates strategic thinking, creativity and impressive copywriting chops.
- Reliable self-starter who can handle multiple projects with minimal oversight.
- Great presentation skills with the ability to explain your creative vision and listen to feedback.
- Friendly, supportive and collaborative. This is a strength-in-numbers kind of team; we make each other better.
- Background in content marketing, editorial, tech or B2B a plus!
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.