Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Team
The Content team partners with various departments across the business (including marketing, operations, and legal team members) to create the right content for our pros, customers, and internal teams. We make sure our customers’ voices are heard and their feelings are considered when product and messaging decisions are made. And we assist and serve the support and operations teams so they (and we) can delight our pros and customers.
About the Role
You'll write and edit a variety of content types (everything from online help articles and internal knowledge base resources to video scripts and blog posts).
- Manage projects (large and small) to make sure we are prepared for updates that impact the customer experience.
- You'll help communicate product launches, marketing initiatives, and process updates.
- Monitor the effectiveness of our knowledge resources. You'll use your findings to create, improve, and share content in the right channels.
- Research support issues and work with internal teams to deliver help content (instructions, emails, help center articles) that is accurate, helpful, and brand appropriate.
- Identify gaps and challenges that you discover, communicate these back to the team, and find opportunities for improvement.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with your peers and cross-functional team members.
Here are some of the characteristics that describe you:
- You've got a Bachelor's Degree and 3-5 years of professional writing experience (bonus points for previous customer support experience).
- You're a strong writer and editor. You're comfortable receiving feedback from others, self-editing, and performing peer edits.
- You’re a critical thinker who takes pride in their work.
- You have excellent communication and problem-solving skills (and you're not afraid to use them). You're able to effectively convey your ideas and collaborate with various people and teams.
- You understand brand voice and tone, and you appreciate a well-crafted sentence.
- You can take complex issues and turn them into clear, concise sentences.
- You have a desire to improve the customer experience and the intellectual curiosity to experiment with different solutions.
- You can effectively plan and prioritize your workload to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- You can shift tone in order to address the needs of different audiences in different situations.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.