Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Internal Communications Team
The Internal Communications team’s mission is to:
- Inspire: We inspire employees by bringing to life the impact we are having on the world
- Inform: We believe in transparency and proactively share information about the state of the business and organization.
- Connect: We create a sense of community and camaraderie across all levels, functions and offices, as well as with the pros and customers we serve.
- Celebrate: We celebrate the accomplishments of our employees, pros and customers.
Our content strategy is focused on our vision, mission, strategy, results, people and organization. Our channel strategy is focused on company-wide meetings, email communications and intranet to ensure that the leadership team and employees interact on a regular basis.
About the Role
You’ll be responsible for shaping and implementing our internal communications strategy. You’ll bring communications rigor to Thumbtack across all channels and help leaders bring their messages to life. You’ll partner with key stakeholders, such as the executive, people, brand marketing and product development teams, to build bridges across our offices and drive timely, relevant and inspirational content.
- You are a strategic thinker and understand how to use internal comms to address key business and organizational priorities
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator
- You are love coaching others on how to bring their messages to life and give high quality and direct feedback
- You build relationships and can collaborate with anyone, regardless of function, location or tenure
- You run a tight process, juggle many balls and hit tight deadlines in scrappy ways
- Develop and implement the internal communications strategy and editorial calendar to communicate Thumbtack’s mission, strategy, business performance and people news
- Manage all company-wide meetings (e.g. all hands, biannual strategy kickoffs, executive Q+As), including storyline development, content creation and speaker preparation
- Develop content for company-wide written communications (e.g. monthly CEO updates, weekly company digest and ad-hoc leadership team emails)
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to understand business and organizational priorities
- Collect feedback from employees to ensure we are addressing highest priority issues
- 8+ years professional experience
- 5-7+ years in internal communications
- Excellent written, verbal and visual communication skills
- Mastery of presentation tools (i.e. powerpoint, keynote, google slides)
- Project management experience
- Graphic design abilities
- Execution communications experience
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in nearly 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- Learn more about our culture, benefits, and perks
- Learn more about engineering at Thumbtack
- Follow Thumbtack on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.