Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Marketplace Trust and Safety Team
Building a trustworthy marketplace is one of the biggest challenges in bringing local services online. It is one of the keys to Thumbtack’s continued success and growth. The Marketplace Trust and Safety team is responsible for building the systems that guarantee this trust, by improving the fundamental quality of our marketplace.
The team’s work is deeply technical and spans a wide range of domains from infrastructure to machine learning models to product features. Recent examples include: training and running machine learning models in production to block abusive requests, to building a linked accounts detection system backed by a graph >100MM nodes to understand which users may have relationships with each other, to improving our pro credentials products by providing high quality, validated pro credentials that increase customers’ trust when hiring on Thumbtack.
About the Role
Tech leads at Thumbtack are responsible for driving the technical direction of the team, and are ultimately accountable for the team’s impact. They lead the engineering team in building out the systems and products to execute on that vision. Tech leads must be deeply technical and lead from the front - we expect TLs to be hands-on in writing code, designing systems, and helping the team make high quality technical decisions that lead to impact.
On the Marketplace Trust and Safety team, you will work closely with cross-functional partners in Product, Data Science/Analytics, and Operations to develop the team’s strategy and roadmap. Our team is highly collaborative and we work closely together across functions and with other product teams.
- Provide deep technical leadership on the team and work with the broader eng leadership team to establish technical direction, set priorities, and guide key technical decisions.
- As a technical leader, make substantial technical contributions by writing code and designing systems. TLs are not expected to lead every project or systems design, but are expected to make some deep technical contributions to our system.
- Work with cross functional leads across Product, Data Science/Analytics, and Operations to craft a compelling strategy and roadmap for the team.
- Drive execution on the team, develop processes, and helping the team find ways to move forward.
- Collaborate with other engineering and product teams (eg. Pro, Customer and Marketplace Dynamics) to align on priorities and execution across Thumbtack.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to continually improve Thumbtack’s engineering culture in a high paced growth environment.
- 2+ years experience in an engineering leadership role as a technical leader, and 5+ years experience building software at scale.
- Fluency in programming, and ability to pick up and switch between multiple languages. In our stack, we mainly use Golang, PHP, and Scala.
- Strong leadership, communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience working on Trust and Safety or payments risk at a consumer tech company and/or a marketplace business.
- Experience building and scaling reliable, performant distributed systems or building high quality user-facing technology products.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in over 1,000 categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.