Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About Research & Design At Thumbtack
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of designers, researchers, product writers, and analysts working closely with engineers and product managers to discover, validate, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, and delightful. We collaborate regularly through design critiques, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and inform the direction of the product and company as a whole.
You are passionate about developing empathy for our users, both our customers and our small business owners/professionals (Pros), and delivering insights that help us create experiences that fulfill their needs. You’re an experienced manager with several years of leadership and cross-functional collaboration experience. You’re a great communicator and storyteller, and can help product teams better understand and advocate for their users. Your focus is on qualitative research methodologies, but you also have a working knowledge of quantitative methodologies.
About The Role
The Head of Experience Research will lead our growing team of Researchers, both managing the team and collaborating closely on key projects and initiatives. Experience Researchers at Thumbtack are embedded within product teams and serve as advocates for the needs of customers and pros alike. You will be responsible for scoping, managing, and executing research projects (often with overlapping timelines) and providing insights that will drive key product decisions. You would be focused on:
- Manage and grow the team of Experience Researchers.
- Create a charter for the research team, working across company leadership to establish how the entire company should engage with research, including establishing processes, trainings, and best-practices.
- Mentor the User Research team by setting a compelling vision and providing the 1-1 coaching that individuals require to be successful.
- Guide individual team members' research efforts as well as taking on individual projects and conducting hands-on research.
- Collaboration & Communication
- Collaborate closely with a wide variety of cross-functional teams (product designers, product writers, product managers, engineers, analytics, data science, marketing, and other senior stakeholders) to identify and prioritize research opportunities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Find creative and compelling ways to present and evangelize research across the company to cultivate a highly informed, more effective, and more empathetic organization
- Synthesize user feedback to generate insights and provide timely, clear and concise product and design recommendations.
- Share research findings with functional teams and the company at-large by creating and distributing compelling, impactful reports, and presentations.
- Process & Methodologies
- Apply a pragmatic approach to research while understanding and incorporating complex technical and business requirements into research priorities.
- Determine the best approaches and methodologies to apply to company priorities, from strategic discovery research to tactical evaluations of prototypes and design explorations.
- Work collaboratively within the Research team and across Analytics and Data Science to assess larger user trends and determine strategies for further investigation and/or synthesis.
- Evolve and optimize the process for participant recruitment and any other research coordination tasks
- 2-3+ years of experience managing UX researchers
- 3-7+ years in applied UX research in fast-paced, consumer-facing product organizations
- Strong understanding of strengths and shortcomings of various qualitative and quantitative research methods, including when and how to apply them during product phases
- Demonstrated success influencing product and design decisions based on research insights
- Excellent knowledge of research principles, experiment design & facilitation, and using a mix of qualitative and quantitative methodologies that are appropriate for each project
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation, and collaboration skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to communicate and present findings clearly
- Experience using a variety of research tools (such as UserTesting.com, Optimizely, Ethnio) and familiarity with recruiting and analytics suites
- Experience collecting and analyzing user behavior through unmoderated experiments (A/B testing), in-person studies, remote studies, and the occasional survey
- BA/BS in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Information Science, Computer Science, related fields, or equivalent practical experience
- Proven experience working with key company stakeholders, integrating user research into product designs and design practices, and educating teams about research
- MA/MS in one of the previously mentioned academic fields
- Experience with user research supporting accessibility, a big plus
- Experience coding, writing SQL queries, and Python
- Collecting and analyze user behavior through server logs, experiments (A/B testing), benchmark studies, lab studies, and surveys.
- Excellent working knowledge of statistics and the principles of experiment design
- Experience with qual and quant survey design
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- Learn more about our culture, benefits, and perks
- Follow Thumbtack on LinkedIn
- Recent Press:
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.