Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Role
Thumbtack is seeking a senior communications professional to lead for its world-class Communications Team. Reporting to the Head of Brand Marketing/Creative Director, the Head of Communications will establish Thumbtack as the brand that makes it easier to get more done. The Head of Communications is a central partner to the Thumbtack Founder/CEO, key spokespeople and the senior leadership team. You’ll lead corporate and consumer PR on both sides of the marketplace; create and drive communication strategies that build brand love, affinity, adoption and advocacy; leverage Thumbtack’s unique business and economic data to make Thumbtack the source for data on the US small business economy; partner with our legal team to support communications and crisis strategy and execution; and manage a high-performing in-house PR team in partnership with external consultants and agencies.
- Build brand love by refining and evolving our approach to telling the Thumbtack story through and to the media.
- Actively manage our reputation by defining our messaging strategy and tactics to make Thumbtack the industry leader in the local services marketplace sector. You’ll leverage our platform data to tell stories about our pros and the small business economy, positioning the company and spokespeople as thought leaders in conversations around the future of work and small business advocacy.
- Inspire company pride by acting as a key company storyteller to many of our most important external constituencies, including media, bloggers and influencers. Build lasting, productive relationships with the media for Thumbtack.
- Make our pros champions of the Thumbtack brand by helping with local event creation that supports key business objectives and results in editorial coverage.
- Lead by example: Partner with key agencies and vendors to develop quarterly plans and drive their execution. Track their impact and reinforce our culture of achievement and accountability. Tell stories of skilled local professionals throughout the United States who start, grow and maintain their small businesses on Thumbtack.
- 12+ years of work experience in business and consumer public relations, preferably with significant experience on an in-house communications team
- Experience placing stories at top-tier national print and broadcast media outlets; corporate and consumer
- Experience managing crisis communications at a recognized national or global technology company
- Demonstrated success developing media programs, placing coverage, measuring results and optimizing programs
- Proven ability to drive key messages through inspiring and differentiated communication programs
- Existing relationships with key journalists in tech and business media with capacity to build trust with journalists across all media segments as programs demand
- Experience managing PR agencies and/or contractors
- Event management experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
Key skills required:
- Results driven, strategic execution
- Define and deliver programs that drive awareness and relevance and reinforce the brand
- Demonstrated capacity to self-motivate and drive a high volume of programs on your own and through partnerships with cross-functional teams and contractors
- Identify metrics to track and measure the impact of PR efforts and optimize priorities, programs and plans accordingly
- Exceptional Media Relationships and Networking Skills
- Established relationships with media in the tech/biz space
- Demonstrated ability to develop narratives to keep our company in the conversation
- Creative approaches to drive communication with the next level of media at scale
- An Inspiring Leader with an Affinity for Our Mission
- Proven success driving cross-functional teams to quality results
- Ability to manage team members with disparate skill sets
- Willing to move fast and define objectives, strategies and tasks without waiting for top-down direction, but also able to optimize based on feedback from manager and team
- Strong track record of driving and landing top-tier coverage
- Good understanding of agency relationships and proven ability to maximize value from retained agencies/contractors
- Understands the art of the short-term compromise for the long-term gain - whether in partnering with other teams or in balancing priorities and resources within our own team
- Exceptional written and verbal communicator who is adept at framing, positioning and influencing
- Viewed as a trusted advisor to senior leadership
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment; relishes the opportunity to define work
- Passionate, mission-driven and inspiring brand advocate
- Highly results-oriented and driven
- Bold creative thinker; takes risk and challenges assumptions
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in almost 1,100 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.