Are you ready to write your next chapter with us?
About the Company:
The Baltimore Banner is a nonprofit newsroom founded to bring high-quality local journalism to the Baltimore metro area. We are creating a vibrant, strong, trustworthy, and sustainable news organization, seeking to re-imagine the future of local news. Using a multi-platform news operation, covering a broad range of topics from local government to culture and the arts. We tell stories that reflect the community, connecting neighbors, holding government institutions accountable and making sense of the world. All this work is grounded in truth. We believe we can contribute to a more vibrant, informed and whole Baltimore, surrounding counties and state of Maryland.
About the Job:
The Baltimore Banner is hiring two express reporters, one to focus on criminal justice in the region and the second to cover breaking news around the Baltimore region.
Our express reporters are some of the most-read journalists at The Banner, who will write about the most interesting news of the day quickly and in a conversational tone that engages readers. These reporters should be able to comb social media and the Internet to spot stories. They are versatile and able to cover a wide range of topics that incorporate different story formats for a digital audience. The ideal candidates will be quick studies who can write with context and sweep. We want to do more than tell readers what is happening in the news; but also tell them what it means.
The express reporters should thrive in breaking situations. They are able to confirm and publish stories quickly online and then update them throughout the day, taking feeds from other reporters and pushing a story continuously forward.
- Write the stories of the day quickly with accuracy, context and sweep
- Wade through social media to find the most interesting stories and tidbits of the day
- Use digital publishing, analytics to drive coverage
- Write clear, compelling and interesting stories on deadline, but know when a story needs extra time
- Collaborate with reporters across the newsroom
- Come up with enterprise ideas for when news is slow
- Develop sources on various beats to turn to on deadline quickly
- Work across social media platforms to connect readers with our content
- Generate new ideas for audience growth
- Represent The Banner in the community as needed -- in person or on television or radio appearances
- Use and understand newsroom analytics to hone and identify the coverage that serves readers
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in journalism
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong writing skills and ability to quickly make complex topics understandable
- A strong instinct for news
- Digital savvy and a familiarity with audience analytics
- Good sourcing across many beats
- Ability to juggle breaking news with strong enterprise stories
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Enthusiasm for news and content that will resonate with readers
- Teamwork and willingness to collaborate with others
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends as news dictates
- A commitment to upholding journalistic values and ethics
"This position requires that you be vaccinated against Covid-19 unless you need a reasonable accommodation for religion or a health-related need."
The Venetoulis Institute embraces diversity and inclusion, and we are wholeheartedly committed to being proactive in inspiring a culture of inclusion across our organization. We are dedicated to establishing an organization that reflects the fundamental respect for different ways of working and living, and we assure every employee the opportunity to reach their full potential.