Senior Software Engineer, Infrastructure
Who You Are:
You are a software engineer who looks forward to building the infrastructure behind the next research breakthroughs at a top AI research institute. You have experience designing and troubleshooting distributed systems, have a good understanding of HTTP and APIs built upon it, and you like thinking about how to build dependable systems that technical customers love to use. You thrive in a small, fast-paced organization where there can sometimes be large amounts of ambiguity. You’re self-directed and enjoy working independently while still having frequent technical conversations with your team to determine the best route forward. If you would like to help us build software that helps our researchers run experiments that they wouldn’t have thought possible, or work on tooling that helps them launch public demos and APIs featuring their work, we would love to talk to you.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization– because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity -We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion -We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- Our office is open to fully vaccinated team members, and we support a hybrid work environment with many working from home part of the week.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 200+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
Your Next Challenge:
With your passion for infrastructure, you will join a small team at AI2 that operates and develops key systems used across the company. Two examples are Skiff, a platform for serving web applications and research prototypes, and Beaker, our platform for research experimentation and scaling training deep learning models across our on-premise GPU installation and the cloud. You will collaborate with research scientists across the company to improve these systems and extend them to meet new needs. Your next challenge might be to extend Beaker to easily support multi-node training so our researchers can easily experiment with GPT-3 scale models (1 TB of GPU memory). Or you might be extending Skiff to be more intelligent about how to serve research demos with GPU needs, so we can continue to communicate our work without breaking the bank.
What You’ll Need:
- A strong interest and focus on investing in infrastructure with many customers.
- 5+ years of industry experience working on infrastructure-related projects.
- A strong command of Go or Python. Go is the main language we use for infrastructure development, and Python is the main language our researchers use to build deep learning models.
- Expertise with containerization technologies, such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- UNIX and shell fluency, you should know your way around a linux command line.
- Strong ownership for the performance and stability of services.
- A passion for working directly with your customers to solve new problems.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.