Young Investigator, Semantic Scholar
Who You Are:
AI2 is seeking a Young Investigator to join our Semantic Scholar Research team. Young Investigators on our team contribute to AI2's impact-driven mission in an exciting, fast-paced research environment. They have the opportunity to:
- author and present high-quality scientific papers and presentations for peer-reviewed journals and conferences,
- take a leading role in implementing open source software systems to improve access to our research,
- collaborate with and learn from team members across AI2, including scientists and engineers,
- mentor early-career researchers and interns on their projects, and
- help develop collaborative relationships with relevant academic, industrial, government, and standards organizations.
The Allen AI Young Investigator is a 1 to 3 years postdoctoral program offering unique benefits. The program will enable you to balance working collaboratively on an AI2 project while pursuing an independent research agenda.
Please apply before March 30th for full consideration. Note that we will conduct interviews on a rolling basis, so we encourage applying early before the deadline.
Why Semantic Scholar?
As a Young Investigator on our team, you’ll have the unique opportunity to see your research help improve the productivity and discovery experience of millions of scholars who use Semantic Scholar (semanticscholar.org) every week.
We collaborate frequently with researchers on other AI2 teams focused on natural language processing and computer vision, among others. Our main office has close ties and unique access to researchers at the University of Washington, only 1.5 miles away. Researchers excited about such internal and external collaborations are encouraged to apply.
Our research areas include, but are not limited to: Natural language processing, human-AI interaction, language and vision, machine learning, information retrieval, and data science. See our team page (https://research.semanticscholar.org/publications) for examples of our work.
What you’ll need:
- One year or less from completing their PhD, or already have a PhD in Computer Science or related field, with specific focus in one or more of our team’s active research areas.
- A strong publication record in AI-related areas. Example venues include ACL, CHI, ICLR, EMNLP, SIGIR, KDD, WWW, CVPR, NeurIPS, ICML. Contributions to research communities (e.g. workshop organization, tutorials) are a plus.
- Strong software engineering skills. Experience with deep learning frameworks (e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow), and contributions to open-source research libraries (e.g. AllenNLP, spaCy) are a plus.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.