Applied Sciences and Technology - Artificial Intelligence Internship, Skylight Team
Are you interested in honing your engineering skills while learning about cutting-edge developments in Artificial Intelligence? Do you have a passion for applying technology to do good in the world? If so, an internship on the Applied Science and Technology (AST) team at AI2 may be the perfect opportunity. The AST team will be reviewing applications and scheduling interviews for Summer 2022 internships in December/January. Start dates will be determined based on your availability and will be 12 weeks in duration and based in Seattle, WA.
On the AST Skylight team, you will work with talented engineers, domain experts, and product managers to uncover illegal fishing by developing vessel detection models and building a Proof-of-Concept pipeline for acquiring data, running the model, and exposing outputs. The Skylight team aims to expand the ability to expose “dark vessels'' (those not transmitting their location) to better deliver timely events and information about suspicious activity to enforcement authorities. You will incorporate vessel data from publicly available, raw Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) imagery into the Skylight platform.
Over the course of your time at AI2, you will build your resume and leave an impact on AI2 and the world.
We have a beautiful office near Fremont and right on Lake Union; catered lunches; great pay; smart, friendly and helpful co-workers.
What we’re looking for:
- Students late in their program (juniors, seniors, or masters students) or recently graduated, with a strong academic record
- Experience with Computer Vision and Machine Learning, whether in a classroom or a previous internship
- Successful past internships (or full time employment) in a technical role
- A passion for applying AI to address global challenges
- Bonus for experience with any type of satellite imagery
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.