Are you passionate about science communication and curious about the future of artificial intelligence? The Allen Institute for AI is looking for an experienced communications manager to help us tell the story of AI2’s cutting-edge research and applied AI programs.
As a communications manager, you will build out a program of compelling content that covers the variety of areas where AI2 makes an impact, from our foundational research in natural language processing and computer vision to our advances in the technology behind global conservation initiatives. You will work closely with researchers, engineers, designers, and program leaders to highlight our work and develop narratives that get people engaged with our mission of AI for the Common Good.
As a key member of the communications team, you will partner with other communications and marketing roles across the organization to help craft strategy and policies around our communication practices, as well as develop digital media and articles for our newsletter, blog, social channels, events, and other venues. An interest in AI and a creative eye for how we can bring our research to life is essential to this role, as are outstanding writing, communication, analysis, and organizational skills.
Who You Are
- Science enthusiast: You have an appreciation for foundational scientific research and the ways it can be brought to life for the betterment of humanity.
- Skilled writer: You have a talent for engaging, informative, and moving written communications in many forms.
- Conversationalist: You love communicating with a variety of people with different skill sets and interests, drawing out the narrative threads that bring their work to life.
- Creator: You appreciate how imagery tells a story. You like learning new tools. You’re eager to experiment, explore, and suggest new ideas and opportunities.
- Organized doer: You can keep a lot of plates spinning at once because you’re great at proactive documentation, notification, scheduling, and follow-through.
- Engage regularly with teams across AI2 to identify and track developments we want to share with the AI community and the wider world
- Deeply understand our work and its context to develop compelling storylines and produce blog articles, social media posts, etc. that bridge the gap between highly technical subject matter and a broad audience
- Develop a content calendar and strategy to grow our audience and elevate our institute’s profile and mission
- Analyze data from our communication channels to continuously improve audience engagement and hone our storytelling approaches
- Work with other marketing and communications positions in the organization to develop a streamlined flow of content creation, review, and publication
- Produce, update, review, and continuously improve the content on AI2’s websites and social profiles
- Work closely with our PR agency to develop and pitch stories and press releases for the media
- Proactively identify new opportunities for highlighting AI2’s work and accomplishments, including speaking engagements, podcasts, interviews, and other outreach
- Directly maintain partnerships with contacts at relevant external organizations (e.g., University of Washington, Allen Institute, partner publications) to coordinate and amplify stories, events, etc.
- 4+ years experience working in related communications and/or marketing capacities for scientific or technical audiences
- Experience managing a brand’s digital/social media presence
- Experience working with media consultancies or directly with media outlets to promote and execute on effective earned opportunities
- A portfolio/body of work illustrating your capability to deliver compelling, professional, on-brand content
- Plus: Video and/or image editing skills
- Plus: Experience working with researchers in an industry or academic setting
- BA/BS or advanced degree in Communications, Journalism, Computer Science, or related science or technical field
- Track record of delivering great content about scientific or technical advancements
- Experience working in a nonprofit organization and/or in a startup environment
- Experience managing a content calendar and strategizing about communication initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to achieve strategic goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment
- A strong portfolio illustrating your capability to deliver compelling, professional and on-brand content
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.