Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
This Senior Accountant position will prepare, compile, analyze and maintain accounting records for multiple business entities. A strong knowledge of GAAP and general ledger accounting is necessary for this position.
Your Next Challenge:
- Assist with month-end close, financial statement preparation, yearly audit, and occasional program audits
- Reconcile assigned general ledger accounts and related accounting records for accuracy
- Perform bank account reconciliations.
- Monitor and resolve book to bank differences by working with accounting and treasury teams to appropriately record transactions
- Enter any manual bank statements to accounting system
- Compile and prepare journal entries.
- Prepare compliance reporting for external parties (creditors and government agencies)
- Prepare reports to be used by management for analyzing financial information.
- Perform other tasks and projects as needed under the direction of management, and respond appropriately to requests from other company personnel.
- Ensure compliance and timely filing of reports, City and WA State tax filings, and related items.
- Grant accounting, including allocations, billings, releases and draw downs.
- Assist with tracking grants to ensure budget accuracy
- Assist in yearly indirect calculation and 990 tax preparation
- Assisting in grant audit and year-end audit process
- Overseeing and assisting with accounts payable and expense allocation processes
- Oversee the monthly purchase card reports and ensure reasonableness of expenditures, coding, and approvals on submitted reports.
- Maintain fixed asset schedule
- Maintain chartfields, reporting trees, and report layouts within PeopleSoft and/or other accounting applications.
- Identify opportunities for process and procedure improvements, and work with management to implement.
- Apply principles of accounting and use judgment and other professional skills in determining the appropriate procedures for preparing and maintaining accounting records and reports.
- Work both independently and in a team environment.
- Concurrently perform multiple assignments and self-manage schedule to determine workflow timing and duration.
- Effectively communicate, both written and oral, with other company personnel.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
What You’ll Need:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Accounting software/systems experience.
- Detail oriented, organized, and analytical in approach to tasks.
- Ability to communicate with in a professional manner with limited supervision.
- Ability to effectively respond to requests or questions from managers and colleagues in both written and oral form.
- High degree of flexibility and customer service attitude.
- An understanding of financial systems, processes and internal controls.
- Experience working with Sage Intacct Accounting system and /or Adaptive
- Basic knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience managing and accounting for Federal grants
- Experience working with 501c3 Organizations
- MS Office (intermediate to advanced knowledge of Excel and Outlook especially), Windows.
- Experience with PeopleSoft or other Oracle accounting systems; PeopleSoft Treasury module experience most preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from accredited institution and four plus years relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CPA or comparable equivalent highly preferred.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.