Technical Assistant to the CEO
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2) is seeking a Technical Assistant to work closely with our Chief Executive Officer, Oren Etzioni. You will have the opportunity to build cutting-edge prototypes, run experiments, and write-up groundbreaking results. If this sounds like an exciting next step in your career,, we encourage you to apply.
Your Next Challenge:
An example of requests our CEO may ask of you are:
"To explore overcoming unconscious bias, could you build a resume anonymizer that would automatically redact demographic factors such as gender or race from resumes?"
Your job would be:
- To research whether such software already exists
- Figure out how to build a dataset to train/evaluate such a system
- Build it and assess whether it’s working and could be widely distributed as an open source project.
"Can you compare the capabilities of AllenNLP and the NLP services built into the major cloud providers?"
Your job would be:
- Identify the NLP capabilities to focus on
- Build an appropriate data set
- Design and run the experiment
- Write up a report on the results
What You Will Need:
- Rapid prototyping skills
- Basic understanding of ML (strong deep learning skills are a plus)
- Crisp understanding of experimental design
- Independent work style and comfort with ambiguity
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to focus on task completion and impact
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization– because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity -We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion -We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.