AKESOgen, Inc. is growing! Our company is seeking to hire a Research Laboratory Assistant.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- A team player helping to construct, implement, and manage multiple tasks.
- Receives shipments/specimens from couriers, inventories specimens, and documents the receipt of the samples in accordance with laboratory standard operating procedures.
- Properly identifies specimens that do not follow the proper submission criteria described in the Specimen Processing SOP, and properly documents and reports any issues to team lead, Laboratory Operations and Project Manager for follow up.
- Ensures the proper handling of specimens in accordance with assigned SOPs including, but not limited to, proper data entry, specimen handling, storage and aliquoting of the specimens.
- Accession specimens accurately into the LIS system using prescribed laboratory guidelines.
- Delivers samples to appropriate testing laboratories in a timely fashion.
- Performs specimen storage, retrieval, inventory, and disposal activities.
- Performs general laboratory instrument maintenance activities.
- Run automated Nucleic Acid instrumentation, real time PCR, DNA/RNA spectrometer, and genetic scanners.
- Document and maintain records systematically such that they can be easily obtained when needed.
- Ensure the accuracy of the information before filing.
- Assist the team leads and scientists in related function
- Understand and follow CLIA* and CAP guidelines.
- Maintain instrumentation and the appropriate documentation for each instrument.
- Demonstrate a high level of ethics in all aspects of professional practice.
- Assist in kit-building as required.
- Assist with shipping samples as required.
- Assist in organizing biobank and inventory as required.
- Maintains consistent and reliable attendance and complies with company guidelines on attendance
- Unpack, record and store reagents and supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate or Bachelors degree in biological sciences with at least one year’s experience in a biological laboratory (preferably a molecular genetics lab).
- Minimum of 1 year of lab experience with accessioning, data entry, and specimen handling
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to follow lab safety practices when working in the freezer or with hazardous materials.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment and maintain production, integrity of laboratory specimens, accurate data entry and quality standards determined by the clinical laboratory
The skills and specifications for this position:
- Excellent analytical abilities and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Excellent practical knowledge about the applications of scientific principles.
- Ability to spot mistakes in procedures and report them to supervisor.
- Ability to work well in a group as well as carry out individual assignments.
- Proficient in computer and internet application skills required for the job.
- Familiar with CLIA and CAP guidelines, great attention to detail.
- Ability to focus for long periods on a task, able to lift 50lbs, and willingness to learn.
- Adherence to standard universal precautions
- Exposure to biological and chemical hazards