Passionate about precision medicine and advancing the healthcare industry?
Recent advancements in underlying technology have finally made it possible for AI to impact clinical care in a meaningful way. Tempus' proprietary platform connects an entire ecosystem of real-world evidence to deliver real-time, actionable insights to physicians, providing critical information about the right treatments for the right patients, at the right time.
This role is for an experienced leader in the field of computer vision on medical images, for diagnosis, prognosis, and the discovery of new biomarkers. The role will report directly to the SVP of Data Science.
What You Will Do:
- Build and lead the Bay Area Imaging AI team, as one of the functional leaders, to translate research into clinically actionable insights for our clients and advance our internal research agenda.
- Develop algorithms used to gain insight into disease prognostics through analysis of large sets of clinical data.
- Collaborate closely with other functional leads as well as product, engineering, and business development as well as other imaging teams.
- Guide the team's direction and technical roadmap, mentor junior members - while also being hands-on and a strong individual contributor yourself.
- Analyze and integrate large diverse clinical, molecular and imaging datasets to extract insights, and drive research opportunities.
- Document, summarize, and present your findings to a group of peers and stakeholders.
- Provide technical leadership & expertise across multiple modeling projects.
- PhD degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. computer vision, machine learning, computer science, applied mathematics, physics, or similar).
- Substantial experience working with medical images, in particular pathology WSIs, CT, MRIs.
- Expert level knowledge of machine learning, pipelines and data handling, DICOM, imaging modalities, common artifacts, etc.
- Expert level knowledge of modern computer vision algorithms, including CNNs, RNNs, segmentation networks, 3D imaging.
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Highest standard of scientific rigor, and an acute awareness to balance high academic quality versus fast-paced product requirements.
- Proven ability to lead a medium sized team of 5-10 people.
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong individual track record and hands-on mentality.
- Strong technical proficiency in a range of tools such as Python, SciPy, AWS, SageMaker, TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.
- Strong understanding of software best practices to serve as role model for their team and maintain a high level of quality and scalability on the technical as well as scientific side.
- Strong peer-reviewed publication record.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and willing to shift priorities seamlessly.
- Experience with communicating insights and presenting concepts to diverse audiences.
- Team player mindset and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Goal orientation, self motivation, and drive to make a positive impact in healthcare.
- Experience in a late-stage startup environment.
- Successful history of building and leading a highly functional team from the ground up.
- Experience with sensitive patient data and working under HIPAA regulations.
- Ability to attract high potential junior as well as senior talent.