Compensation Range: $3,000-$4,500 depending on hours per week available.
As an Entrepreneur in Residence you will help build the next amazing batch of startups, as they grow from early stage to venture-backed companies. From entrepreneurs, to investors, to mentors, your network is about to explode. You will have the opportunity to sit in on mentor meetings – get to know the best entrepreneurs and investors in the city, up close and personally. You will also have access to full involvement in Techstars social events with the founders and local community.
It’s basically a chance to get amazing experience, broaden your network in ways you could never imagine, get exposure to some of the greatest up and coming companies and teams in the country. Historically, most associates end up being employed by one of the teams or by someone they met during the span of the three months. Many also go on to build their own companies.
Role and Responsibilities
An EIR’s main responsibilities consist of:
- To work alongside the Managing Director to help founders with their businesses during program, which could include customer discovery and development, business model, marketing, financials, pitching and more.
- Help MD recruit and select top-caliber companies and mentors for the program
- Help the MD connect founders to mentors during program and help facilitate the founder / mentor relationships
- And other activities that the MD may assign in support of the overall success of the program
This is a full time or part-time, 3-4 month contract position. The candidate must be located in Boulder, Colorado USA from early September through December.
When looking for the ideal EIR for an accelerator program, we believe that an existing depth of experience in and connection into the world of tech entrepreneurship, startups and venture capital is critical. The candidate should be able to make an immediate contribution to the startup companies and program with little to no learning curve or training. This is a great short-term transitional role for an entrepreneur who is "between startups" to provide value, to learn, to get a new credential, etc.
Our EIR must be interested in sustainability companies specifically and sustainability experience is preferred but not required.
Given the importance of startup mentorship and community building in the position we aim to target entrepreneurial profiles such as:
- Founders or executives from successful, preferably VC-backed, tech startups.
- Angel or early investors with previous entrepreneur and operating experience as well as a willingness and interest in deepening their exposure to mentorship and portfolio development
- Lead and active mentors of Techstars or other top tier accelerators
- Local startup mentors, advisors or board members
- A passion and interest in sustainability
What we look for in these profiles is:
- Proven relevant experience working directly with tech startups in an operational, advisory or investor capacity
- A strong professional network of individuals (investors, mentors, founders) with the background, experience and passion needed to help tech startups drive toward success
- Operational experience, preferably in high growth technology companies or startups.
- Experience in the accelerator’s vertical focus area is a bonus ie: deep technical experience or industry experience
- A #givefirst attitude toward their community and all of the individuals they interact with and a passion for helping startups become successful businesses
Why Do It?
We think it’s important that the folks who apply are in it for the right reason. For the most part, that reason has a lot to do with the last bullet above. The Techstars network and all of our programs were founded around the idea of giving first without expecting anything in return and ideal candidates for this position believe that to their core.
- You get to work closely with the next wave of talented entrepreneurs on a regular basis and see the impact that you have on their business as a mentor and see the impact that you have in the world supporting companies working in sustainability.
- You get to learn from an amazing team of Techstars staff dedicated to the success of the program: you’ll learn about our globally proven playbook, format and winning curriculum.
- Personal/Portfolio development - you’ll gain experience and exposure to not only an amazing network but also the challenges and opportunities of recruiting, selecting and coaching amazing early stage tech startups.
- You’ll become part of the Techstars Network and act as a representative of our global brand
Techstars is an investment and innovation group that connects entrepreneurs, investors, corporations, and city governments to solve challenges across industries and geographies. We pioneered the accelerator program model in 2006 working toward our vision of a connected global economy of innovation.
The Techstars Sustainability Accelerator in partnership with The Nature Conservancy is on a mission to identify and recruit entrepreneurs with the most promising ideas for tackling the world's food, water and climate challenges to join us this July in Denver, CO.
Driven by science-based optimism, The Nature Conservancy’s work spans 72 countries, 50 US states with over 400 scientists, 3600 conservationists, one million + dedicated members and decades of work collaborating with the private sector across thousands of companies. Combine their commitment with the Techstars network of over 10,000 mentors, 1,200 portfolio companies across 16 countries and $11 billion market cap - together, we’ve got a network at the ready and want you to be part of the family.
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.