Ready to make a difference by utilizing your talents? Join a team driven by a mission to help patients, and a culture focused on developing medical device and diagnostic solutions.
Surmodics is pursuing highly differentiated medical devices that are designed to address unmet clinical needs and engineered to the most demanding requirements. This key growth strategy leverages the combination of the Company’s expertise in proprietary surface technologies, along with enhanced device design, development and manufacturing capabilities. The Company mission remains to improve the detection and treatment of disease.
The Continuous Improvement Engineer will be responsible for creating and delivering an operational excellence program to continuously improve manufacturing & business processes aligned with business strategy. The CI Engineer will be responsible for the successful developing & implementation of cost-improvement programs across the business.
- Develop & implement a sustaining continuous improvement program across the business.
- Lead the continuous improvement strategy on site.
- Support a culture of continuous improvement, the elimination of waste and the pursuit of excellence.
- Identify and implement value improvement programs to support the business to achieve its goals and objectives.
- Provide training, coaching, and mentoring in lean principles to both direct and indirect including cross-functional personnel.
- Use Lean Six Sigma tools and methodologies to improve or solve manufacturing problems by reducing cost/waste.
- Monitor and critically review progress of KPI’s against plans and achievement of continuous improvement against key performance operations assessment criteria.
- Responsible for identifying and highlighting further opportunities in delivering improvements in process performance along with identifying opportunities in methodologies that sustain gains.
- Preparation and presentation of engineering standard data.
- Work closely with R&D and Sustaining Engineering at early stages of product life cycle to ensure that new products and processes transfer at optimal performance.
- Identification of improvement opportunities and initiation of project teams to achieve site goals and facilitating the removal of barriers to ensure successful outcomes.
- Identify and develop improvements to increase key process metrics of Service, Delivery, Quality and Cost using Lean / 6 sigma methodologies.
- Ensure that all Health, Safety and Environmental requirements are fulfilled
Experience and Qualifications
- Level 8 degree qualified in an Engineering or Science discipline preferably Lean / Operational Excellence Qualified
- Lean Six Sigma certification (minimum Black Belt) with minimum of 5 years’ experience
- Experience in deploying standard work both in the manufacturing and office environment is an advantage.
- Experience rolling out & embedding CI methodologies.
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ensures adherence to quality and safety standards with all improvement efforts
- Excellent analytical skills and a strong visionary of waste reduction
- Demonstrated experience in PIM, VSM, 6s, in a manufacturing environment.
- Proven ability to adapt to changing work priorities in response to a rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrated self-direction & organizational skills
- Good project management skills
Core Behavioral Competencies
Business Acumen: Leverages insights on the company’s business drivers, market, and industry to drive effective decisions.
Strategic Mindset: Possesses a broad perspective, a strategic mindset, and an external focus.
Innovation: Continues the entrepreneurial spirt driving improvement, experimentation, and/or intelligent risk-taking.
Collaboration: Creates a culture in which employees work together for the good of the company and its customers.
Developing Talent: Identifies, deploys, and develops strong team member.
Courage: Takes charge and conveys authority, determination, and resolve.
Driving Execution: Knows how to get things done to satisfy customers and meet business targets.
Leading Change: Drives change in the organization’s systems, processes, people and culture.
Driving Alignment: Creates a shared understanding of and alignment to the organization’s direction and priorities.
Initiative: Is motivated by challenges and remains determined in the face of obstacles.
Self-Development: Continuously looks for opportunities to gain insights, apply learnings, and demonstrate new skills.
Adaptability: Adapts effectively to change with self-confidence, composure, and optimism.
Surmodics offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a bonus program, Defined Contribution Pension with employer match, employee stock purchase plan and stock options.
Surmodics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, civil status or members of traveller communities.