Who We Are
Summer’s mission is to help the 46 million Americans burdened by student debt save money through smart, algorithm-based recommendations. Summer combines policy expertise and innovative technology to serve student loan borrowers across the country. Our founding team draws on years of experience in public policy, law, consumer finance, and engineering to tackle one of the greatest challenges of our generation.
We are a Certified B Corporation® as part of our commitment to helping all borrowers improve their financial health through better repayment strategies. We recently raised our Series A and are backed by a team of world-class investors, including General Catalyst, NextView, Greycroft, Foundation Capital, Story Ventures, QED Investors, and Flourish Ventures.
As a member of our Borrower Success Team, you’ll work directly with student loan borrowers to help them navigate Summer’s tools and enroll in federal forgiveness and repayment programs. With training and hands-on experience, you’ll quickly become an expert in the student loan landscape and serve as the first point of contact for our users.
This posting is for a remote, full-time, contractor role for up to 5 months—with the possibility of extension or permanent hiring in NYC based on performance and company needs.
Job responsibilities may include:
- Understanding Summer's product offerings and how they address borrowers' needs
- Engaging with borrowers via email and live chat
- Reviewing and submitting applications for federal loan programs
- Proactively suggesting and implementing ideas and automations that can help scale the team
- Bringing user feedback to life with the product, design, and engineering teams to create new features and offerings
- Collaborating with the Borrower Success Team to achieve team and company growth goals in line with our social mission
This position will report to the Head of Borrower Success.
We are seeking teammates with at least one year of relevant work experience. Bachelor degree required. Experience with start-ups, finance (including financial aid or fintech), government programs, or customer support is a plus. We are excited to work with teammates who are passionate about applying their talents in a fast-paced startup environment to tackle a major social issue of our time.
During the interview process, we’ll be evaluating these key qualities in your experience and potential:
- Detail oriented: You can understand and communicate complex program requirements; you can capably manage internal systems and processes
- Fast learner: You have demonstrated experience in quickly mastering new skills and knowledge areas
- Clear communicator: You can field questions from borrowers with empathy, tact, and clarity
- Excellent teammate: You collaborate with and support your teammates; you clearly communicate capacity and expectations
We're proud to be a mission-driven company with an inclusive culture. Our greatest asset is the set of values our team strives to embody every day: empathy, diversity, growth, determination, humility, and fun. Learn more about culture at Summer.
Sound interesting? We look forward to hearing from you. Join us to help fix the system!