About the Role
Strava is the leading social platform for athletes and the largest sports community in the world, with over 85 million athletes in 195 countries. If you sweat, you’re an athlete, and Strava’s mobile apps and website connect millions of active people every day. We’re growing fast, with millions of athletes coming specifically to find places to run, ride, compete, and explore.
We’re seeking a Localization QA Engineer with hands-on test automation experience. This position requires a skilled and experienced localization professional. A deep understanding of software and content localization is essential to be successful in this role. We’re specifically looking for an individual who has previous experience scoping, developing and implementing solid L10N QA concepts, tools, and processes in cooperation with internal development teams, project managers, and external translators. Previous work experience bootstrapping an L10N QA environment from the ground up is highly desirable.
If you’re in addition to all the above an enthusiastic, resourceful, and proactive team player who effectively works across different offices, teams, and time zones, you’re a good match for our team. Ideal candidates exhibit a can-do attitude and approach their work proactively and with vigor and determination. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate excellence in their respective fields, to possess the ability to learn quickly and to strive for perfection within a fast-paced and fast-growing environment. Maintaining order, oversight, and calmness under time pressure is essential to success in this role.
While the primary focus will be the ongoing quality assurance aspect of localized content for all Strava products, our ideal candidate also possesses solid L10N project/task management skills to support his L10N teammates during peak times.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Plan and maintain an overall L10N QA strategy to lead our product’s localization journey from inception to delivery, becoming intimately familiar with engineering processes relating to L10n.
- Drive L10N QA workflows and dependencies - independently and reliably, identifying and establishing processes and tooling needed to scale up our L10N QA operations.
- Improve existing end-to-end L10N QA processes for various types of translation assets.
- Introduce, automate and integrate new L10N QA systems, tools, and processes as applicable.
- Develop, execute and manage localization/internationalization test cases, providing checks for accuracy of localized content.
- Perform linguistic, layout, and functional testing of current and upcoming localized content across iOS, Android, and Web applications.
- Evaluate the quality of already-localized experiences. Drive efforts to improve where needed and establish best practices to support a continued high-quality experience in all supported languages.
- Take ownership for reported L10N bugs, working with Support and Engineering to resolve them.
- Work with internal teams to timely answer translation-related inquiries in tools/material/emails.
- Perform linguistic QA for our localized mobile and web-based apps. Making sure there is no truncation.
- Preparing and managing significant volumes of L10N-related work tasks, ensuring on-time and high-quality deliveries. This involves working closely with internal teams, a larger number of freelance translators, and our localization vendors on a daily basis, across different time zones.
- Promote international implementation aspects/considerations across the internal organization.
You will be successful here by:
- Long-term focus on the implementation and ongoing fine-tuning of robust Localization-QA processes and toolsets to ensure a high-quality localized web and app experience for our athletes.
- Support/Monitor our time-critical L10N continuous translation workflows, helping where required.
- Interest and background in translation, internationalization, localization, and international markets.
- Quality is more than a word for you. Its assurance is something you feel great responsibility for.
- Proven experience working closely with product management, marketing, and engineering organizations.
- Curiosity for language, culture, regional nuance, and the desire to continually build empathy.
- Comfortable working in a rapidly changing environment where ambiguity and short turnaround schedules are the norms.
- Strive for continuous improvement - strengthen and scale localization QA engineering processes, metrics, and other operational needs.
We’re excited about you because you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in the technical area.
- 5+ years of localization QA engineering experience.
- Strong technical domain knowledge (internationalization and localization).
- Strong technical problem-solving skills and the ability to stay focused under pressure.
- Highly proficient with localization and project management tools, preferably Transifex, JIRA, and Asana.
- Solid understanding of the software development lifecycle for mobile & web platforms from an L10N/I18N perspective, specifically L10N/I18N QA processes, testing, processes, and best practices.
- Experience implementing/improving L10N/I18N QA processes in a medium-sized company.
- Must perform well and stay calm/confident under time and project-related pressure, keeping the overall project goals in sight. Expect the unexpected, be prepared for last-minute fire drills.
- Skilled in judging and solving unexpected problems, finding the right balance between ‘can’t do’ and out-of-the-box ‘spontaneous creative solutions’ depending on the overall situation.
- Ability to work independently as well as being a strong team player.
- Native-level fluency skills in one or more foreign languages.
- Eligible to work in the US.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.