About This Role
Strava is the leading subscription platform at the center of connected fitness, with more than 100 million community members in over 190 countries. The platform offers a holistic view of your active lifestyle, no matter where you live, which sport you love, and/or what device you use. Everyone belongs on Strava when they are pursuing an active life.
We are seeking two server engineers to join our dynamic teams at Strava, one on the Communications & Personalization team and the other for the Activation Team, both under the Growth organization. The successful candidate will be pivotal in shaping the infrastructure and user experience for Strava’s massive athlete community.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.
You’re excited about the Communications & Personalization Team because you will:
- Be a part of a decisive unit responsible for designing, prototyping, and implementing Strava's infrastructure
- to enhance our targeting capabilities for athletes with personalized communications.
- Contribute to the platform that dispatches over 20 million transactional emails and roughly 100 million notifications weekly.
- Work on diverse projects, from re-architecting our notification infrastructure to innovating in-app promotion targeting methods.
You’re excited about the Activation Team because you will:
- Engage in a role crucial to the onboarding and retention of Strava users. As a part of the Growth organization, you will join a team dedicated to rigorous experimentation, aiming to expand our user base perpetually.
- Collaborate with a myriad of professionals, including mobile and web engineers, product designers, analysts, and marketers, crafting the user journey from sign-up to long-term usage.
- Champion the development and iteration of features that enhance user retention and onboarding.
You will be successful here by:
- Demonstrating empathy for athletes and their experience while using Strava
- Taking ownership of your work, partnering with cross-functional peers to ensure services are properly scoped and implemented.
- Building well-documented and easy-to-use systems that are quickly and widely adopted across our engineering organization
- Contributing to an inclusive and collaborative team culture
- Be willing to explore and learn new technologies outside of your comfort zone
We’re excited about you because:
- Have built services in a production environment, using languages like (but not limited to) Ruby, Java, Scala, Python, Go, etc.
- Have built, supported, or owned internal tools and experiences that are powered by backend technologies like Scala microservices and Ruby on Rails
- Have experience with relational or NoSQL databases in production (we use MySQL, Redis, and Cassandra)
- Have experience with open-source distributed systems technologies (we use Kafka, Finagle, Kubernetes, and Docker)
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a distributed capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.