About This Role
We’re looking for people to build the systems and services that support Strava’s web and mobile applications. As a Senior Server Engineer at Strava, you’ll be responsible for making decisions which enable our product to scale to millions of athletes. Server engineers work on product teams, so you’ll be collaborating daily with our partners in product and design. Your projects will be a healthy mix of upgrading existing systems and developing new functionality. Our backend stack is written in Ruby and Scala, but you don’t need experience with those languages to be successful at Strava.
We’re looking to hire a Senior Server Engineer on our API platform team. This person will be joining a small, decisive team that design, prototype, and implement the infrastructure for Strava to transition to using BFFs (back end for frontend) for mobile and web clients.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Write high-quality production code that enables millions of athletes to have an awesome experience on Strava.
- Provide technical leadership on the team.
- Collaborate daily with partners in product and design to implement the team roadmap.
- Foster an engineering culture which makes your peers feel understood and included.
You will be successful here by:
- Using your Scala and GraphQL experience to drive adoption of BFFs and GraphQL across the organization
- Partnering with cross-functional members of your team to deliver production-ready capabilities on a consistent cadence.
- Demonstrating empathy for athletes and their experience while using Strava.
- Mentoring other engineers and upleveling the organization by writing blog posts and giving tech talks about your work.
We’re excited about you because you have experience with:
- Building services in a production environment (using languages like, but not limited to GraphQL, Ruby, Java, Scala, Go, Python etc).
- Using AWS (or alternative) to manage cloud based infrastructure.
- Working with relational or NoSQL databases in Production (we use MySQL, Redis, and Cassandra).
- Open source distributed systems technologies. We use Kafka, ZooKeeper, Finagle, Storm, Spark, Elasticsearch, Mesos, and Docker.
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s core technologies and your role in developing them. For more on Strava’s engineering team check out the Engineering Blog. It covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to personal perspectives on what it’s like to be an engineer at Strava.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.