About This Role
The Strava Places team is looking for an early career, backend-focused engineer to join our team. The Places team is responsible for building and maintaining the technology behind Strava’s geospatial experiences, including navigation and routing, mapping, and Strava Segments. Strava product engineers work on a healthy mix of new features as well as improving existing features and technologies to scale with our ever-growing athlete base. Our engineers collaborate within cross-functional and cross-platform teams that include frontend (mobile and web) engineers, server engineers, product design, product management, user research, data analytics, and marketing.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Build and support product experiences that are powered by backend technologies, including Scala microservices, Ruby on Rails, and Apache Spark.
- Collaborate daily with partners in product and design to implement the team roadmap.
- Foster an engineering culture which makes your peers feel understood and included.
You will be successful here by:
- Being someone who excels at user-centric product development and has a passion for making long-lasting products.
- Learning and approaching novel problems with an open mind. You know how to leverage the experience of others, when to ask for help, and are comfortable stretching your comfort zone.
- Caring about the people you work with and empathizing with athletes and their experience while using Strava.
- Engaging in mentorship opportunities to help you grow as an engineer.
We’re excited about you because:
- You have experience building production software in languages such as (but not limited to) Ruby, Scala, Python, Java, etc.
- You have experience with at least one data storage system, such as relational, noSQL, or columnar databases.
- You are comfortable with client-server interactions, have a solid understanding of data structures, and basic familiarity with microservice architectures.
- You have worked in a collaborative environment where you review code from your peers and foster technical growth.
- You have 2-4 years working in a consumer web facing environment.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.