About This Role
Technology and passion for our athletes are at the heart of everything we do at Strava, and we have built a truly remarkable team that apply both a global approach and global dataset every single day. Our Technology organization is at the forefront of innovation and helping build the future of Strava, and it's an exciting time to be part of it. We are looking for a strategic, thoughtful and highly accountable Sr. People Business Partner to work with our head of Engineering and the entire team to support its success on all levels.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a strategic partner who can both deeply understand the business priorities while also applying a “superpower” of understanding people, building trust and solving challenges in a balanced way. Reporting to the Chief People Officer and as a member of the People and Places team, you’ll help carry our truly “people-first” culture through the engineering team and will drive and execute people programs, while also being embedded with our Engineering and Data teams as an operational partner who will focus on business operations and organizational efficiency as a right hand to our head of Engineering.
We'd love to talk to you about helping shape the exciting times ahead for Strava’s Technology organization and for our company wide approach to people and culture. Please take a look at the links below to learn about the compelling work we are doing.
- The Engineering Blog covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to how we have refined our interview process.
- Strava Labs shows off some of our R+D efforts, and shows the power and scale of Strava’s datasets.
- The Culture Blog describes what makes Strava such an outstanding place to work, and how our people-first approach shows up in real programs and experiences.
- Partner with the VP Engineering to support the team’s operational success, focusing on organizational efficiency, diversity, equity and inclusion, organizational design, talent development, and team building
- Be an operational “right hand” to the VP Engineering, participating in meetings aside the leader and helping drive action items and deliverables that move team priorities forward, while identifying and unblocking obstacles
- Work closely with Strava’s Chief People Officer and the entire People and Places team on company culture, our programs and people-approach that blend data insights with care and empathy
- Lead Strava’s Engineering and Data teams through people programs and annual cycles such as compensation, talent development, planning, and performance assessments as well as supporting ongoing change management as the company evolves and grows
- Be a strategic partner to the VP Engineering on people-related projects and decisions that impact and optimize the team
- Assess employee development needs through the Technology organization and make recommendations for appropriate solutions
- Help support and develop engineering managers, and deliver appropriate coaching, mentoring and feedback to them that drives impact and champions belonging throughout the team
- 8+ years experience in a professional capacity closely supporting teams and operations (bonus if it is formally as an HR business partner and/or supporting a tech team)
- Excellent influencer, communicator, facilitator, and listener with a balanced and thoughtful approach, who is adept at building trust with others
- Keen understanding of people and team dynamics, with an ability to glean insights and action solutions that bring others along the way
- Highly accountable and organizationally minded individual who is skilled at project management, and who can carry many simultaneous initiatives forward and prioritize fluidly as needs change
- Possesses a strong growth approach, the desire to learn and continually improve, and to help others do the same
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and ambitious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture, and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
California Consumer Protection Act Applicant Notice
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.