About the role
At Strava we strive to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. Everyday we collect huge amounts of information from athletes around the world to drive our product vision, and with the help of machine learning we are trying to bring the most personalized experience to our users. As a staff ML engineer you will help create that future of personalization for Strava by building tools and processes to ease the workflow of designing, training and deploying of machine learning models for our product teams as well as data scientists.
- Own the technical strategy of machine learning for the company and bring the future of personalization to Strava.
- Lead the architectural design and implementation of machine learning infrastructure
- Champion machine learning initiatives across the company.
- Help build the team and cultivate the culture.
- Mentor and train other team members on the tech skills.
- Work closely with product, platform and analytics to identify and deliver new ML opportunities.
- 8+ years of experience of building scalable, fault-tolerant and low latency services
- Existing experience of building machine learning workflows such as data validating, feature extraction, model training, monitoring, managing, etc.
- Strong coding skills
- Experience with big-data technologies
- Great communication/mentorship skills and partnership mindset
- Able to work in a fast moving environment and eager to make an impact
- Prior experience of developing on top of AWS
- Solid understanding of Machine Learning fundamentals
- Having successfully deployed ML models that have made a difference to the product experience and/or business success.
- Experience with Scala/Java programming
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and or weight.