About the role
The Los Angeles Marketing Associate is Strava’s on-the-ground go-to marketer for the Los Angeles metro area. This role is key to generating and amplifying existing growth in Los Angeles through current and new relationships, event activations and local club and shop partnerships. The ideal candidate will be a savvy, grassroots marketer who is passionate about community building and experience. You have expertise in all things sports, especially running-related in Los Angeles, strong relationships with athletes and clubs, a self-starter attitude and the ability to work independently while also communicating regularly with HQ. This role also requires budgeting skills, the ability to get things done efficiently and, most importantly, a love of sport and Strava.
- Develop deep knowledge of the Los Angeles market and Strava’s relative positioning in it in order to inform and shape locally impactful strategies that resonate with athletes across the community.
- Lift organic and earned brand awareness by amplifying local word of mouth advocacy to drive organic growth in the community.
- Build (both current and new) strong, authentic relationships with the athletes and institutions that make up the athletic culture of Los Angeles.
- Surface locally relevant ideas to add awesome value to the athletic community in Los Angeles.
- Per the City Marketing Playbook, constantly activate local stakeholders to bring value to and likewise accelerate growth in your local area. This includes clubs, shops, influencers, coaches and partners.
- Plan and host marketing activities each month with local run shops, athletes and clubs.
- Manage and report on a small budget for events, gear and marketing activities.
- Generate and synthesize local insights for the US Local Marketing Team. Send monthly reports on trends, events, key clubs and influencers, and opportunities and recommendations.
- Communicate regularly with your Local Marketing Lead with plans, results and copy/asset needs.
- Be the eyes and ears on the ground in your city for Strava’s US Local Marketing team.
You are entrepreneurial, opportunistic and creative. You have strong relationships with athletes, shops and clubs, especially within the running world. There is no task too big or daunting. You chase opportunities with intensity and know how to solve any challenge with creative solutions. You are ambitious, curious, brave and not afraid to experiment. You are also dynamic, super organized and often described as a master of spinning more plates than any one human should.
- You live in the area and consider yourself a local expert in sports, fitness and athletics.
- You are a social connector. You know just about everyone in the sports and fitness industry in your city. And everyone knows you.
- You are an authentic athlete. You love to run, ride, swim and/or do other activities.
- You have a growth-minded outlook. You can plan, build and execute marketing partnerships and events. You know how to throw a party, whom to invite and how to get people there. Major bonus points if you have experience with digital and performance marketing, communications and PR.
- You are a rockstar. Creative, outgoing, social and positive. You are scrappy and entrepreneurial and figure out a way to get things done and get people to help you.
- You have 2-5 years of experience in marketing, PR or a sales type role. Bachelor degree is preferred, but not necessary with the right kind of experience.
- Experience as a brand ambassador or local marketer is highly valued.
- You can pull events together, create communications plans, and know how to drive ideas forward with enthusiasm.
- You have a natural affinity for building community. People might also call you a local influencer.
- You are proficient in Excel and have had prior experience overseeing a budget.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.