Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
About this role
We are looking for an engineering intern who wants to learn what it takes to run the highly available, highly reliable, dynamically scaled online platform of a popular San Francisco start-up. The ideal candidate loves automating all the things, has a passion for cutting edge technology, and has a desire to improve the platform that serves the Strava Community.
Interns at Strava are considered full members of the engineering team, and build software that gets deployed to millions of athletes. This past summer, interns at Strava: upgraded the schema of one of our largest datasets; performed a series of A/B tests to improve the athlete onboarding experience; upgraded our search infrastructure to Elasticsearch; build a new workout analysis feature on our mobile apps; and supported thousands of API Developers.
- Improve the reliability and scalability of the Strava platform by increasing visibility into our production systems.
- Automate manual, repetitive, and redundant tasks.
- Design and implement systems upgrades with an eye toward availability, performance, and cost efficiency.
- Collaborate with, and incorporate feedback from, other engineering teams.
- Participate in Strava Jams - three uninterrupted days to work on a project of your choosing.
- Pursuing BS/MS in Computer Science or related fields.
- Experience with Linux.
- Familiarity with a cloud computing service like Amazon Web Services.
- Programming experience with at least one language such as Scala, Java, Ruby, or Python.
- Familiarity with version control.
- Disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.