Strand Therapeutics is an early-stage biotechnology company utilizing synthetic biology to genetically program mRNA to deliver truly revolutionary immunotherapies.
Building on the idea of creating smart therapies based on Boolean logic circuits, Strand was started by biological engineers working together at MIT who were seeking to apply the concept of the emerging field of mRNA therapeutics. This collaboration led them to build their own mRNA “programming language,” creating the world’s first platform for mRNA smart therapies.
The founders and scientific advisors of Strand Therapeutics are made up of well-known and highly regarded individuals in both academia and the biotech industry. Our corporate headquarters is located in the Fenway district of Boston, Massachusetts with an additional site based in Watertown, Massachusetts.
Become the next standout single strand!
Strand is looking to build a team that understands the value of working at a start-up. Joining the company now means having vast opportunities to learn and grow including having the exposure to all aspects of building a company. We are looking for people who have the enthusiasm and motivation to be a highly contributing member of a small team. This opportunity will offer the employee the ability to work closely with the founding team, as well as to form close partnerships with team members during the development and formation of the company.
We are looking for a highly motivated and innovative candidate for the role of Patent Agent. Reporting initially to the Chief Operating Officer, this individual will coordinate, together with external counsel, the drafting and prosecution of patent applications directed to the organization’s technology and pipeline. The individual will collaborate across the company as a business partner to ensure organizational needs are met in a timely manner.
- Manage the review of proposed publications and presentations for potential impact on the IP portfolio.
- Develop IP landscape, patentability, FTO and due diligence assessments.
- Support in contract and agreement negotiations with IP implications.
- Manage regular IP meetings with external legal counsel; review filings and office actions flagging risk areas for further senior leadership attention; meet all patent response deadlines.
- Interface with scientific team members regularly to review invention ideas, and coordinate those filings with external counsel.
- In addition to IP support, as needed and as time permits, provide decision making support for routine contracts and build out legal operations functionality, working with external counsel and internal Strand legal operations team members.
- B.S. or PhD in Life Sciences or similar field.
- 4-5+ years of in-house or law firm experience pertaining to intellectual property of biologics and/or nucleic acid-based therapeutics required.
- Ability to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Thorough understanding of scientific and IP databases.
- Proven record of robust scientific publications and/or presentations.
- A strong team player with excellent oral and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Ability to quickly adapt to change and thrive in a dynamic and entrepreneurial early-stage environment.
Strand offers a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, team-focused work environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, vacation, 401k, and commuter) and work/ life integration. Being part of the Strand team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to meet the company goals.
Strand Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable law. Strand does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with role and experience