Interested in working on cutting-edge blockchain technology and creating equitable access to the global financial system? Since 2014, the mission-driven team at the Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) has helped fuel the tremendous growth of the Stellar blockchain network, an open-source platform that operates at high-scale today. Developers and companies around the world build on it, and the SDF team is expanding to support the rapidly growing and changing Stellar ecosystem.
In this role, you will be in charge of leading all strategy and investments related to the Stellar Enterprise Fund and Stellar Matching Fund, which are pools of lumens used to invest in businesses with the potential to grow Stellar and its ecosystem. The Enterprise Fund makes direct investments across all stages up to Series E in global fintech or blockchain companies. The Matching Fund is a separate investment track, designed specifically for earlier stage companies (Pre-seed to Series B). SDF matches qualifying investments raised from lead investors of up to $500,000 USD, allowing for more co-investment opportunities and growing the number of companies SDF can support.
We operate both funds like mission-focused venture-style funds, investing in promising founders and companies in exchange for equity stakes (with an investment committee of SDF executives making final investment decisions). This role will lead all aspects of operating, from sourcing deals to writing investment theses to negotiating terms, as well as leading a small team of investment associates.
Most importantly, you will be growing the world of blockchain and supporting SDF’s mission of creating equitable access to the global financial system.
In this role, you will:
- Source, qualify, and close strategic investments that add value to the entire ecosystem and help to further SDF’s mission.
- Serve as an internal leader to drive initiatives and advocate for strategic investments.
- Lead a small team of investment associates.
- Work with management to craft the Foundation’s enterprise investment strategy to ramp up meaningful transactions on the Stellar network.
- Work with the grants, community and marketing teams to support the launch and execution of new programs and initiatives for engaging with our global partners.
- Propose new ways in which the Foundation can provide systemic support and opportunities for the ecosystem of companies building on Stellar.
- Represent the Foundation at conferences and events throughout the world.
- You have 10+ years of experience working in the investment industry, ideally with a focus on emerging markets.
- You have a deep understanding and experience in closing large complex enterprise-scale deals in the finance and/or fintech space internationally.
- You have a strong interest in cryptocurrency, blockchain, financial inclusion, and the Stellar network.
- You have significant experience working with internal and external stakeholders to execute projects and/or business negotiations
- You see projects through to completion and always communicate outcomes to stakeholders.
- You thrive in a collaborative team environment with multiple stakeholders while having a high degree of accountability and autonomy.
- You’re an exceptional writer and have excellent verbal communication skills.
- You’re willing to travel 25% of the time.
- You're curious, tenacious, and have an unwavering commitment to being successful.
- You don’t shy away from doing the hard thing. You love doing the hard thing.
Bonus points if:
- You’ve lived or worked abroad at some point in your career.
- You can speak more than one language fluently.
- Competitive health, dental & vision coverage
- Flexible time off + 15 company holidays including a company-wide holiday break
- Paid parental leave
- Life & ADD
- Short & Long term disability
- FSA & Dependent Care Accounts
- 401K (4% match)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly gym allowance
- Daily lunch and snacks in-office
- L&D budget of $1,500/year
- Company retreats