Interested in helping us change the world of payments forever? The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) is looking for a talented, experienced, and hands-on engineer to join our team. In this role you’ll be designing, building, and implementing changes to Stellar Core - the primary distributed system that is used for maintaining Stellar's ledger and obtaining global consensus.As a member of our team, you'll have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of problems focused on growing and scaling our global network. This includes designing and implementing features that increase the performance of the network (peer to peer networking and processing performance), decentralization (resilience to nodes failing or coordinating to attack the network) as well as proper incentive mechanics for network participants.
You’ll be playing with formal models and verification (consensus), simulation (confirm emergent properties) in addition to typical scalability problems (distributed and multi-core).
In this role, you will:
- Design and build key components of Stellar Core - the backbone software behind the Stellar Network.
- Design and develop robust, scalable, and extensible technologies that empower our developers and network participants.
- Collaborate on new architectures and subsystems, working alongside our CTO, our team of engineers, and our community of open source developers.
- Write clean, maintainable code with an emphasis on edge case analysis and future-proofing our work.
- Own core subsystems of Stellar Core, and help the team hit critical product milestones.
- Collaborate with the team on code review and design, and contribute to best practices for all of engineering at SDF.
- Investigate and refactor performance bottlenecks in order to continue scaling the system.
- Author detailed technical feature and protocol (RFC) specifications - we take design seriously, and we encourage everyone to be a part of our RFC processes.
- You have 8+ years of experience developing software on a team.
- You have a BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent field.
- You excel in writing code in modern C++ or Rust in a production environment.
- You're a great communicator that can advocate and lead technical discussions, especially during the design and code review process.
- You have a solid understanding of software design patterns, and how to build components that are reusable, extensible, and modular.
- You are knowledgeable of best practices and development tools and are passionate about technological innovation.
- You have a passion for performance debugging and benchmarking.
- You love a good challenge in an ever-evolving space - many of the challenges we face are being faced for the first time!
- You're enthusiastic about working on a small, growing team where you'll be given a lot of autonomy.
- You're open, empathetic, and care about putting the best ideas forward in a collaborative and helpful manner.
Bonus points if:
- You have direct experience with designing and implementing distributed systems.
- You have a strong curiosity in blockchain technologies and cryptocurrencies, and understand the fundamentals of these systems.
We offer competitive pay with a base salary range for this position of $240,000 - $280,000 depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, we offer lumen-denominated grants along with the following perks and benefits:
- Competitive health, dental & vision coverage
- Flexible time off + 15 company holidays including a company-wide holiday break
- Paid parental leave
- Life & ADD
- Short & Long term disability
- FSA & Dependent Care Accounts
- 401K (4% match)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly gym allowance
- Daily lunch and snacks in-office
- L&D budget of $1,500/year
- Company retreats