IT Systems Administrator
Starfish Neuroscience is an early-stage startup advancing the science and engineering of brain interfaces. Basic and clinical neuroscience has shown how targeted modulation of brain activity patterns can create precise changes in physiology, affect, or cognition. We see that this ability can be harnessed to treat a wide range of conditions, from movement disorders to mood disorders and from poor sleep to chronic pain. Our mission is to build the foundational technology for safe, flexible, and reliable neuromodulation and to deploy that technology as precision therapies, easily available to the people who need them.
We hire people who are able to work both independently and collaboratively, who have deep expertise in their domain and broad curiosity and skills beyond, and who have demonstrated technical or professional excellence.
We are seeking an experienced IT Systems Administrator to work on site in our Bellevue, WA office.
- Collaborating with users and vendors to understand and assess computing and system needs and requirements.
- Evaluating current technology use and needs of the company and recommending software and hardware improvements.
- Overseeing backup, networks, user help systems and security of enterprise systems information.
- Remaining current on advances in technology. Maintaining current knowledge of emerging security threats, technical challenges, and developments in system protection and IT security standards.
- Providing technical support to users.
- Analyzing IT infrastructure and systems performance to assess upgrade requirements, and other metrics and needs. Establishing and providing recommendations for improvement of IT infrastructure.
- Facilitating IT security audits or investigations. Recommending modifications to security protocols as required.
- Developing and/or providing training and guidance on acceptable use, risk management, incident response, and security protocols to employees. Ensuring that monitoring operations comply with all applicable government regulations and standards.
- Thorough understanding of CIS principles, programs, policies, activities, and procedures.
- Experience with infrastructure as code (Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Ability to source and set up robust infrastructure (data storage, data processing pipelines, high-performance computing).
- Through understanding of network protocols and the OSI model.
- Knowledge of VMWare and other virtualization solutions, plus the ability to manage firewalls, DNS and Microsoft Active Directory infrastructure.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize work.
- Ability to explain technical problems and offer solutions to those without technological training.
- Proficient, or able to gain proficiency with, a broad array of security software applications and tools.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Curiosity and a willingness to learn from others.
- Self-starter with the ability to proactively locate resources and problem-solve.
- The ability to successfully work collaboratively in a flat organizational structure.
- Able to function as an individual contributor, collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, and work with vendors, contractors and related disciplines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or 7 years of relevant work experience.
Starfish Neuroscience encourages and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds. Consideration will be given to candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, pregnancy, family medical history or genetic information, age, veteran status, family status, or disability status. Starfish is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment and does not tolerate harassment, discrimination, or retaliation.
Reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities will be provided unless such accommodation would cause an undue hardship or present a direct threat. Please contact us to request accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process.