Starfish Neuroscience is an early-stage startup advancing the science and engineering of brain interfaces. Basic and clinical neuroscience has shown how targeted modulation of brain activity patterns can create precise changes in physiology, affect, or cognition. We see that this ability can be harnessed to treat a wide range of conditions, from movement disorders to mood disorders and from poor sleep to chronic pain. Our mission is to build the foundational technology for safe, flexible, and reliable neuromodulation and to deploy that technology as precision therapies, easily available to the people who need them.
We hire people who are able to work both independently and collaboratively, who have deep expertise in their domain and broad curiosity and skills beyond, and who have demonstrated technical or professional excellence.
We are seeking an experienced mechanical engineer who has overseen projects from inception through manufacturing and product life maintenance to work on site in our Bellevue, WA office.
- Planning, conceptualizing, and creating mechanical designs for new products.
- Developing testing processes, and performing testing and validation of new designs.
- Creating and reviewing technical drawings, plans, and specifications.
- Mechanical design automation, practical lab application, manufacturing,and test engineering.
- Strong lab skills with expertise in techniques, tools, technical plans, and models involved in mechanical design.
- Functional experience with wearable consumer products.
- An ability to design and build prototypes, and to do the same with other integrated equipment or systems.
- Experience with programming in multiple languages (ideally Python, C, C++ and/or Rust).
- Expertise with CAD software for mechanical and electronic design (e.g. NX, Solidworks, Creo, Altium, KiCad).
- Hands-on expertise with manufacturing methods (e.g. manual and CNC machining, welding, plastic injection molding, resin casting).
- Experience with advanced imaging techniques (e.g. x-ray, MRI, ultrasound).
- A bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or closely related field, foreign equivalent, or 10 years of progressive experience in research and development roles.
- A background with practical application in engineering science, physics, mathematics and ME fundamentals.
- Experience in recruiting, hiring and developing teams and organizations.
- Curiosity and a willingness to learn from others.
- The ability to successfully work collaboratively in a flat organizational structure.
- Able to function as an individual contributor, collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, and work with vendors, contractors and related disciplines.
Starfish Neuroscience encourages and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds. Consideration will be given to candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, pregnancy, family medical history or genetic information, age, veteran status, family status, or disability status. Starfish is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment and does not tolerate harassment, discrimination, or retaliation.
Reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities will be provided unless such accommodation would cause an undue hardship or present a direct threat. Please contact us to request accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process.