Solid Power is seeking a Sr. Automation Engineer I to join our talented team working to revolutionize the battery industry through the development of next-generation, all solid-state rechargeable batteries. Solid Power is a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative team environment. This position requires the ability to independently acquire multi-million-dollar industrial automation equipment given a statement of work. The position requires the ability to assess the technical competence of an industrial machine supplier through website review, proposal review, phone interviews, video conference, or on-site inspection. The role requires the ability to troubleshoot existing industrially controlled machines, mechanically, electrically, or programmatically (PLC), and identify the source of machine problems. The ideal candidate will have the skill set to document this assessment, plan a fix, and independently implement the fix. A strong background in mechanical machine design is required. This candidate is required to design industrial automation equipment in SolidWorks. Experience writing teach pendant programs for, and troubleshooting Fanuc 6 axis robots is also required. Experience with machine vision is required. This role reports to the Director of Automation and will work closely with other automation and controls engineers.
- Create machine specifications to document requirements of industrial automation equipment.
- Down-select and identify ideal suppliers of industrial automation equipment or services.
- Lead the acquisition of industrial automation equipment from machine specification, to factory acceptance testing, to installation and support on-site.
- Design, develop, and supervise all aspects of mechanical design for industrial automation equipment.
- Write new, or modify existing, Fanuc teach pendant programs for 6 axis robots.
- Lead industrial automation activities, responding immediately to any “down machine” conditions during normal business hours (no after-hours on-call).
- Work closely with process engineering, manufacturing engineering, and cell development teams to increase Solid Power cell quality and throughput capacity through the application of sound automation practices.
- Commission or troubleshoot controls hardware including PLCs and associated IO, servo drives, AC drives, circuit breakers, pneumatic valve banks, and industrial safety components.
- Develop the skills of junior automation engineers to increase Solid Power’s depth of knowledge.
- Work closely, collaboratively, and effectively with other departments and team members.
- Minimum of Bachelors degree in electrical or mechanical engineering, or related field.
- Minimum 10 years of related industry experience.
- Experience with Allen Bradley PLC programming with Studio5000 Logix Designer, Studio5000 View Designer, and FT View Studio.
- Experience with machine vision (iRVision, iRPicktool, Keyence, or Cognex).
- Experience with Fanuc robotics programming and integration.
- Advanced Solidworks user.
- Experience with Visual Basic programming a plus.
- Experience with Mitsubishi Q series PLC a plus.
- S. citizenship or Permanent Residency required.
Salary Range: $85,000 - $112,000/year
Benefits: Solid Power offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical/dental/vision insurance, employer paid Life/AD&D/STD/LTD insurance, 401k with company match, paid holidays, PTO, cell phone reimbursement and participation in our equity plan.