Cyber is a critical coverage area, both in the Capitol and nationwide. Sightline Media is looking for a Deputy Editor to take a leading role at the Fifth Domain, its cyber brand focusing on the business, technology and evolving threat landscape at federal agencies, the Defense Department and the intelligence community. This position will include writing enterprises packages and working sources for exclusives about the cybersecurity tactics and technology imperatives these agencies are considering and the bureaucracy that is slowing their operations down. This means writing about how government agencies protect their own data and networks as well as how they may target the data and networks of their adversaries. We want someone who will forge strong relationships within the government cybersecurity community, the companies in and around the beltway, and leaders in Silicon Valley. The right candidate will understand how to post two to four items a day, via writing, curating, aggregating and editing, some of which will include multimedia, photo galleries, social media roundups. They’ll have a vision for what makes a strong Fifth Domain story. We’re looking for a modern journalist who is comfortable attending participating in webcasts and industry events, both as a reporter and a brand ambassador. This job also includes some web site management duties, editing, social media work. The right person will see a path for Fifth Domain’s growth and help shape the site via coverage and strategy discussions.
- Deliver multiple items per day on the defense and federal cyber market.
- Participate in regular video packages and other multimedia projects.
- Cover industry conferences and networking events as market expert and brand ambassador.
- Support the Fifth Domain editor aspects of site management and strategic growth efforts to propel the brand brand forward through traffic growth, brand recognition, and ownership of the federal and defense cyber market journalistically speaking.
- Extensive experience in news media in digital, print, social media and video form.
- Extensive experience in defense and government IT markets.
- Experience with events, webcasts and custom products.
- Leadership experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or similar field is preferred.