The prestigious Federal Times and Fifth Domain brands are on the hunt for a digitally savvy Senior Staff Writer to work on big stories that have a measurable impact in the nation’s capital. We’re looking for a seasoned journalist with a proven track-record of digging up important stories, reporting them thoroughly and presenting that work in new and engaging ways, both online and in print.
Does our need fit your skillset and professional interests? Are you able to cultivate strong sources in a difficult – and often confidential – environment? Are you ready for a rewarding challenge? If so, we’d love to meet you.
Beat: Management & Information Technology
The Senior Staff Writer will be responsible for leading coverage of the federal workforce, including management and acquisition issues, with a focus on how the government procures and implements new technologies, and helping federal employees maneuver in the new era of public service.
- Daily: One lead-worthy story to anchor the website and daily newsletter.
- Weekly: One story of significance that breaks news, moves people to action and/or makes a difference in the lives of our audience.
- Monthly: One print-quality cover story that digs into a topic in-depth. Topic and relating story must be relevant and engaging while having a shelf life appropriate for a monthly news magazine.
- Other: Produce multimedia content, such as slideshows, videos, infographics, etc., as appropriate; conduct Q&As with federal leaders; attend relevant conferences, industry days and luncheons; cultivate bloggers within and outside of government; act as a brand ambassador in the field and through appearances on TV, radio and other media formats.
The ideal candidate brings at least five years of directly relevant journalism experience, as evidences by the following:
- Strong news judgement.
- Quick and accurate editing skills.
- A knowledge of the Federal employment management/sector issues and procurement.
- Digital journalism prowess.
- A positive, energetic attitude.
- Creativity, digital prowess, and a contemporary approach to storytelling required.
Located outside of Washington, D.C., Federal Times is news organization with a 50-year record covering federal government. We have a proud legacy of producing award-winning journalism as the one-stop news and information service for Federal Managers. Federal Times delivers the resources needed to stay on top of the pertinent business issues impacting the federal sector. Our commitment is to provide government managers news and information about managing their staffs, the latest technology, and financial and career decisions.