POSITION Director, Military Market Sales
POSITION LOCATION Washington, DC area
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP President
CORPORATE HQ Washington, DC
The Military Times group comprises Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times and Marine Corps Times. Established in 1940, Military Times has earned its role as part of the fabric of the U.S. military community, playing an important role as the premier, dedicated, independent news source for the active-duty military, their families, veteran and retirees.
The Military Times are a set of strong, well-regarded digital brands with bi-weekly print product, each specifically focused for the needs, interests and culture of their particular military service. The Military Times brands serve a large, targeted digital, mobile, video and social media audience, as well as our strong print readership. Other national media have come to rely on Military Times for groundbreaking journalism about the military community, and frequently pick up news first reported on our media platforms. At Military Times, we are committed to our unique and essential mission, and our employees are truly proud to serve those who serve, which is our ethos and motto.
Military Times print and digital platforms provides career, service and military family and lifestyle news; personal finance, education and healthcare information of relevance to service members; recreational resources; exclusive videos and photos; Guard and Reserve information; and access to a community that connects service members, military families and veterans. Military Times has a combined print circulation and online audience over 7 million.
Military Times is produced by Sightline Media, the leading news media organization covering military, defense, public sector, federal technology, C4ISR and cyber defense. Sightline Media offers our business clientele a wide range of platforms to reach the market. From digital and mobile solutions to events, thought leadership, publications, video and custom options, Sightline works with clients on opportunities that have credibility, integrity, engagement and impact.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Military Times is looking for a director and senior seller to join our team to lead our sales efforts targeted to companies and organizations whose clear and distinct focus is military consumer markets. This is both a sales leadership role as well as a direct selling role – this position will both guide and direct focused military market sales staff as well as carry a sales quota on significant named accounts. This role will also act as a primary point of deep expertise in military markets, both to clients and within the company, representing advertising interests in the company meetings, councils and with editorial staff. In this role, you will establish and grow relationships with military marketers to grow and diversify business from core Military Times accounts and collaborate on and develop strategies with staff to do same. You will secure new military-focused clients and develop new opportunities. You will ensure clientele with superb service and earn respect within our unique military market milieu. The position reports to the president of the company with a dotted/functional line of accountability to the vice president of national sales and ad agency development in New York. The role will act as leader of sales in the Washington headquarters and facilitate military insight and awareness between all sales field offices. It is expected from the start that you can develop and execute a sales plan to accomplish your assigned quarterly revenue goals; identify client solutions and resolve account issues; and ensure Military Times sales policies and procedures are implemented.
- 10+ years of advertising sales experience, with deep knowledge of both print and digital advertising.
- Experience in military markets and a proven understanding of the military community we serve. Former military service or military family background strongly preferred.
- Proven working experience in a Salesforce.com environment
- Experience with military-focused brands and the military market, and relationships with same.
- Significant experience selling both advertising and integrated cross-platform sponsorships.
- Self-starter and a leader that can thrive in a high-speed, entrepreneurial environment.
- Develop and manage sales to achieve quarterly and annual sales targets.
- Guide, manage, direct and collaborate with military market sales team to grow revenue within the endemic and specific military market category.
- Work closely with editorial, marketing and executive staff on plans, opportunities and solutions to grow revenue from military-focused accounts
- Participate in events and conferences directly related to the military field
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, team-building and presentation skills
- Creativity, flexibility, accountability, integrity and strategic acumen. A passion for excellence.
- Ability to travel as needed; driver’s license required
- Excellent knowledge of military and military markets. A patriotic alignment with our core military values.
- Excellent knowledge of advertising and marketing trends, technologies, and pricing models
- Strong skills working with Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce.com
Bachelor’s degree required
The successful candidate will receive a compensation package (Salary, and Commission) commensurate with his/her track record and level of achievement.